[TYPES] Query: Types for post-development analysis?

Michael Anthony Smith m.a.smith at eris.qinetiq.com
Thu Mar 9 05:20:57 EST 2006

Clarification and Summary (so far)

I have already had several useful replies to this original posting
(thanks). But, from some of these replies it is clear that it is worth
clarifying my use of the "post-development analysis context", thus I am
enclosing a description that I sent individually to one of the list members.

By "the post-development analysis context" I mean the analysis of an
existing product (program), typically by a third party (such as a
certifier) who has to satisfy themselves that the product meets certain
criteria (such as showing the absence of bypassing a security manager or
exception free execution).  It is assumed that such third parties have
little control over the development process or languages used to
implement a product.  They may even have little sight of the development
documentation (or even the source code).  But for the purposes of my
initial question, lets assume that both the design documentation and
source code are available.

Having said this, another member of the list provided their own
interpretation, which is also valid, namely, "someone has already
written a program in a weakly-typed language but then [wants] to analyze
that program for further properties using types? ".

Thanks for your responses, I am now in the process of following up the
pointers you have given me. In summary, the (public*) pointers include:
@ Work on index type systems (independently invented by Christopher
Zenger and Hongwei Xi in the 90's).
@ The *PURe Project (*Program Understanding and Re-engineering: Calculi
and Applications)  which apply formal methods "in-reverse". Project
homepage http://wiki.di.uminho.pt/wiki/bin/view/PURe
@ "Anno Domini", which used types to analyze COBOL programs for
year-2000 issues. From Type Theory to Year 2000 Conversion Tool
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/eidorff99annodomini.html
@ Raghavan Komondoor, G. Ramalingam, Satish Chandra, John Field,
"Dependent Types for Program Understanding", in the Proceedings of TACAS
2005, LNCS 3440, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2005. (analyzing COBOL
programs).
@ Jeff Foster's (UMD) CQual language, which does "type qualifier"
inference to find security flaws and other things in C programs. CQual
homepage http://www.cs.umd.edu/~jfoster/cqual/
@ Necula's (UC Berkeley) CCured project that does another kind of type
inference for the purpose of making C programs memory safe. Project home
page http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/ccured/
<http://freshmeat.net/redir/ccured/37987/url_homepage/ccured> (Tool
available from http://freshmeat.net/projects/ccured/).

*I have only included those pointers that I believe were referencing
publicly available information. And I have removed the names of the
correspondents as I have not asked their permission to quote them.
(Having said this, I will happily give credit if they like; this can be
done in hindsight, whereas mentioning them publicly cannot easily be
retracted).

Thanks for your help,

Anthony.