[TYPES] proofs of strong normalization for System F

Thorsten Altenkirch txa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Tue Jul 14 16:20:00 EDT 2009

My first published paper was about a formalisation of strong
normalisation for System F,
see http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~txa/publ/tlca93.pdf
This proof however followed Girard's proof.

Later we used normalisation by evaluation to construct a normalisation
function for System F,
see
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~txa/publ/lics96.pdf
and
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~txa/publ/f97.pdf
the latter paper was never published.

As Wojtek remarked all proofs of SN for System F already use
impredicative reasoning. However, Klaus Aehlig showed in his PhD that
System F with only one type variable can be shown consistent using
generalized inductive definitions (ID<w). Afaik, nobody has yet taken
this up to give a predicative normalisation proof for this fragment.
Another question is whether there are other (larger) fragments which
can be attacked with predicative methods.

Cheers,
Thorsten