[TYPES] Decidability of type reconstruction in predicative System-F?

Frank Pfenning fp at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 28 19:23:15 EST 2013

Hi Chris,

  It depends on exactly how you defined type reconstruction.
For one definition, I proved undecidability for the predicative
case in the paper below, based on a suggestion by Bob Harper.

Frank Pfenning. On the undecidability of partial polymorphic type
reconstruction. Fundamenta Informaticae, 19(1,2):185-199, 1993.
Preliminary version available as Technical Report CMU-CS-92-105, School of
Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, January 1992.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/papers/CMU-CS-92-105.pdf

Fujita and Schubert have results for other definitions, while
remaining predicative (RTA 2010, with a longer version in I&C 2012).

   Best,
  - Frank