[TYPES] [External] Re: Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Peter Thiemann thiemann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Dec 14 17:10:30 EST 2023

I would like to join Jeff in stressing that the majority of our organizers are volunteers
who dedicate a significant of their time to serve the community because they believe
in the value of the conference. We should indeed thank them dearly.
They have the difficult task of juggling several conflicting objectives
which were are mentioned in this thread: affordable prices, well-connected location,
nice venue, acceptable food options, remote participation, managing diversity, and so on.
The list of tasks and demands gets longer every year with the result that there may be no
globally optimal solution.

Peter Thiemann
POPL SC chair