[TYPES] Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Fri Dec 15 09:15:39 EST 2023

On 12/15/23 7:33 AM, Guilherme Espada wrote:
> Adam Chlipala wrote:
>
> > at the same as our conferences are applying
> > significant financial cost and volunteer effort to provide what may
> > actually be a net negative.
>
> I will not pass judgment on the rest of your email, but I feel like there
> is something I must clarify:
>
> Our 'in-house' AV Team actually *saves* SIGPLAN a fair chunk of money,
> in most
> cases even in comparison to just having in-room AV fully provided by
> the hotel.
> It also incorrect to assume that if we stopped recording talks, the
> tech issues
> would magically disappear.
Certainly, it is a complex job to get the bits to the right places at
the right times, and the volunteer team that you lead has done a great
job of solving that problem cost-effectively!  I just think it is
worthwhile for the community to decide what value we place on a solution
to that hard problem.
> In addition, recording talks provide a valuable service:
> * To the members of the community who cannot afford to attend.
> * To the members of other communities who might have an
>   interest in some intersectional work.

I think the perceived value of talks in the first place, even those
experienced in-person, may be out-of-wack with the realities of
advantages vs. reading papers.  Everyone can read the papers in any
case, especially given SIGPLAN's commitment to open access. Our brains,
tuned through evolution in small hunter-gatherer bands, attach value to
being in the same room as impressive people saying things well (and,
with some discount factor, to virtual approximations thereof), as the
ability to attend impressive talks is connected to building social
status in the group.  However, I think it's questionable that this
medium scores well for actual explanation of complex ideas, compared to
papers.

> * To the authors, who greatly appreciate having a recorded version of
> their
>   talk, both for reference, exposure and archival.
This mode can be accommodated easily with authors recording their own
videos, which are likely to be higher-quality than what is captured at a
conference.  The conference infrastructure can still accommodate
distributing author-produced videos, as we did in many cases during
lockdown.
> Given we have volunteers who
> believe in the mission of making the community more open, and that gladly
> provide this service, I don't think there is a good reason to stop
> recording.
We've been together in a conference session recently whose start was
delayed at least 30 minutes for debugging of AV issues.  I believe that
would be significantly less likely to happen if we only needed to get
pixels over an HDMI cable to a projector.  My understanding of
video-streaming workflows is that they invariably require relatively
complex software to intervene between the presenter's laptop and the
display screen, which need not be the case without a goal to send a talk
elsewhere.  These delays should be appreciated as real costs of more
complex arrangements.  (This community is in a good position to realize
how much less reliable systems can become when they move from
hardware-only to include software!)