[Icfp04-discuss] Limits to food per cell?

Jed Davis icfp at jdev.users.panix.com
Sat Jun 5 01:23:44 EDT 2004

Peter Froehlich <phf at cs.ucr.edu> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> The ASCII maps seem to limit food to 9 markers, but the specification
> doesn't say anything about a limit to the number of food "crumbs" that
> can be in a cell. Any clues? I like no limit, so... :-)

The spec does say there's no limit.  But with 8 provided food blobs,
of size 3x4 and 5 crumbs per cell --- plus 3 crumbs for each of the
182 starting ants, minus the 5 ants you need for killing --- you have
an upper bound of 1067.

You know, I don't think the exact parameters of the food blobs (other
than there being 8 of them) are actually specified anywhere; I suppose
you could assume (as I did above, and as the spec seems to suggest)
that they'll always be the way they are in the examples, but....

--
dn: cn=Jed Davis, o=panix.com  #  also infamous as <jldavis at cs.oberlin.edu>
objectclass: person