[Icfp04-discuss] Well, *this* is going to be a fun bug.

Rolf learr at rogers.com
Sun Jun 6 15:23:56 EDT 2004

Jed Davis wrote:

>So right now, the first diff I have is after round 424, and consists
>of three ants' having taken the wrong branch of a Flip insn.  I don't
>even know what part of my simulator to look at first; I mean, it's not
>like randomint and the case for Flip haven't been tested quite a bit
>by that point.
>
>Since this list is for discussion, does anyone else have any bugs (not
>of the sort being simulated, that is) they'd like to lament about,
>and/or boast of having defeated?

Well, My wife called out of my concentration "trance" and said "You have
to come help me kill these ants...." Yup, ant bugs in the Kitchen. It
was no simulation... ;-)

True story.

I had a bug in my simulator engine that caused the Move instruction to
always return the ant to state 0 regardless of the intended return
state. As it happens, even though it sounds like a huge bug, the broken
simulator produces perfect output on the sample.ant, tiny.world test.

Rolf