[Icfp04-discuss] simulator speed

Laurent Desnogues laurent.desnogues at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 7 02:49:28 EDT 2004

Jeff Franklin wrote:

> Just curious, how long does it take your simulators to run through 100000
> iterations?  It's taking mine about 2 hours (on a P4 3GHz), so I've just been
> running through 5000 or 10000 and seeing how it does, which only takes about
> 10 or 20 minutes (respectively).  Is this normal?  Does everyones simulator
> run this slow?  All my map/ant lookups are O(1), and I have all the C++
> compiler optimizations on (-O3 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer), and I
> turned off all the output.

That looks slow.  On an Athlon 1 GHz, our simulators
(ocaml and C) need less than 3 seconds for 100K cycles
without traces and less than 5 minutes to generate the
trace for the contest sample(10K cycles).

BTW ocaml is very very fast, faster than C depending on
the OS/machine used ; congrats to my teammate :)

		Laurent