[Icfp04-discuss] sample9.world and the role of chance

Jed Davis icfp at jdev.users.panix.com
Mon Jun 7 06:06:45 EDT 2004

Rolf <learr at rogers.com> writes:

> I guess that's why the the judges run the same map twice, each time
> *your* entry plays a different colour. Basically, you get no real
> advantage over two games.

Actually, I've been noticing in my tests that if two ants are pretty
closely matched, the map advantage will give the first match to one
and the second match to the other; whereas, with less help from that
kind of bias, both matches might have gone to the same (slightly
better) ant.

Of course, plain luck can have a surprisingly big impact...

dn: cn=Jed Davis, o=panix.com  ##          see also jldavis at cs.oberlin.edu
objectclass: person
mail;personal: jdev at panix.com  ##    PGP Key FP:   A098 903E 9B9A DEF4 168F
mail;work:     jld@/           ##  [id 0xF33659F9] AA09 BF07 807E F336 59F9