[Icfp04-discuss] Ant entries

Eric Stansifer meta_qoph at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 11:21:53 EDT 2004

The Stansifer Family Antics team submitted two ants for the final
round (only one for the Lightning round).  One of them, which I
started writing ~ 10 pm and finished ~ 11:52 am (12:00 noon was
deadline where I am) is available on the internet at the following
URLs.

The input for my parser program is at:

http://cs.fit.edu/~ryan/icfp/grid.ant.in

The parser program produced syntax legal for contest submission.  The
final ant, after going through the parser, can be found at:

http://cs.fit.edu/~ryan/icfp/grid.ant.out

I really liked the parser program -- there is no way I could have
written a 1523 state program without a parser!  By the way, the
increase in number of lines between grid.ant.in and grid.ant.out is
because the parser supports variables (and you thought finite state
machines couldn't store data!), and the parser duplicates code once
for each possible value of the variable.  Some of the code is
duplicated 36 times (3 nested variables -- one for direction (6
values), one for different markers (3 values), one for whether or not
laying food trail (2 values):  6*3*2 = 36)!

Eric