[Icfp04-discuss] K.I.S.S. Team Ants

Matt Kearse matt at netwin.co.nz
Wed Jun 9 11:10:52 EDT 2004

clive at xtra.co.nz wrote:
> I think perhaps you are being a bit modest? :-)

> Your ants look to be "right up there" as far as I can see. I ran them
> against (a) the kiss ants - you win, (b) red team - you win, and (c)
> frictionless bananas - you win. Of course, my simulator might still be
> buggy! Your method of storing the food in the centre of your home looks like
> a winner. We try to surround the enemy anthill and this seems to work pretty
> well against a lot of the other ants but doesn't seem to be very effective
> against yours.

I ran mine against a few other ants from the .zip file someone created
last night and it seemed to win against many of them but there were 3
out of the 10 I tested against that beat me - I can't remember off
hand which ants they were, but Red team was one of them, although on
the occasional map I narrowly beat them.

I have no idea why the strategy of surrounding my anthill doesn't
work. When I read about that idea I thought my ants would easily loose
to it.

I haven't actually written anything about my strategy yet - haven't
had any time since the contest but I will post something when I have.

Here is my ant source file:

http://netwin.co.nz/users/matt@netwin.co.nz/icfp2004/mattk.ant.txt

It is badly documented but it might give you a little insight into
what it does.

Ant the actual ant code generated from that:
http://netwin.co.nz/users/matt@netwin.co.nz/icfp2004/mattk-1.ant
http://netwin.co.nz/users/matt@netwin.co.nz/icfp2004/mattk-2.ant

The only difference between my 2 submissions are a few of the
parameters to flip commands.

Matt.