[Icfp04-discuss] Re: simulator

Eijiro Sumii sumii at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 8 22:11:30 EDT 2004

From: Jed Davis <jdev+icfp at xlerb.net>
> I'd thought of that, although I have to wonder how much improvement it
> gives.  Certainly, saving the switch (and how are those implemented,
> nowadays?) on the ant-opcode, and on the parameters for Sense would be
> nice...  but how nice?

Looks like somewhere near twice (for small ants), according to other
people.

> And what of locality of reference in the compiled code, especially
> for the huge 8000-insn ants?

Yes, you are sharp:-) - the compiling simulator is slower for huge
ants.  Its speed varies from ~1 to ~3 seconds (for 100,000 rounds in a
100x100 world) under the same environment - Mobile Pentium III
1.13GHz, Linux on VMware on Windows 2000.  How about interpreting
simulators?

Anyway, we need the speed for playing all the ants against one
another, for sure!

--
Eijiro Sumii (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~sumii/)
Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania