[Icfp04-discuss] Re: simulator

Eijiro Sumii sumii at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 9 08:54:19 EDT 2004

From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org>
> We tried ant compilation here (one of the too many things we did instead
> of doing ant strategy ;-) ), and we found that it was not that
> impressive (something around a 10% gain for a 1.4 s run on a 1.7 GHz
> machine).

How did you compile?  E.g., did you use function pointers for calling
each step function specialized to a particular instruction?

Another merit of compiling is, you can implement all the interpretive
(more complex) part in ML, while benefiting from the speed of C for
the other (very plain) part.

Yes, you shouldn't have spent much time on the simulator, anyway...:)

--
Eijiro Sumii (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~sumii/)
Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania