[Icfp04-discuss] Method for determining the best ant

Eijiro Sumii sumii at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 9 18:11:15 EDT 2004

From: Matt Kearse <matt at netwin.co.nz>
> The point I find wrong is repeating the tournament with a small
> sub-set of the original submissions. These 2 methods can easily result
> in different winning ants at each stage.

We have considered such possibilities very well and let the task
description intentionally ambiguous, so that we have the freedom to
choose a method which is physically doable and as reasonable as
possible to everybody.

Don't worry, please - we observe that the 2 methods are _very_
unlikely to give different conclusions anyway.  I.e., whatever
reasonable methods we choose, the winner(s) would not change in fact.

--
Eijiro Sumii (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~sumii/)
Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania