[Icfp04-discuss] gb0505.ant -- lightning entry, better late than never

William Harold Newman william.newman at airmail.net
Mon Jun 14 13:18:29 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 11:04:32AM -0500, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2004, at 7:55 PM, William Harold Newman wrote:
>
> >Earlier today I poked around looking at various other ant writeups,
> >and ran a little tournament on boards 1 and 3 with an unscientific
> >selection of other opponents, getting
> >  gb0505        184 ; me
> >  intelligAnt -4574 ; Team Monkeys
> >  kiss1         752 ; K.I.S.S. team
> >  kiss2        1446 ; K.I.S.S. team again
> >  nikodemus-2   569 ; from another #lisp IRCer
> >  road         1623 ; Team Road Crew
> >verifying that there are plenty of ants out there capable of kicking
> >Graffiti's little hexapodal abdomen. I haven't tried to put together
> >a tournament of only lightning-born opponents; possibly results from
> >such a limited field would be less uninspiring.
>
> Do these "scores" represent total food collected?  Does intelligAnt
> really have a negative score?  What does that mean?

My little tournament script reports everything in terms of differences
in numbers of food elements collected. I wrote it as soon as I started
experimenting with ants, and have used it since, so by now I take it
for granted, so I forgot that it wouldn't be obvious to others.:-(
Sorry about that.

IntelligAnt has a negative score under this definition because it
collected less total food than its opponents did. (It is a zero-sum game
  184 + -4574 + 752 + 1446 + 569 + 1623 = 0
so either everyone is zero or at least one is negative.)

--
William Harold Newman <william.newman at airmail.net>
"It takes two to lie, Marge -- one to lie and one to listen." -- Homer Simpson