[Icfp04-discuss] Unofficial Tournament

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 18 17:52:15 EDT 2004

> How about changing the tournament so that it's _only_ for ants created/enhanced
> since the contest submission deadline?  Perhaps that would allow people to
> still have fun pitting their "new and improved" ants against other groups'
> post-contest ants, without going against the wishes of the contest organizers?

Yes, this is an excellent idea.

I've just discussed it with some of the other contest organizers
(everybody that could be found in their offices on a Friday afternoon
:-), and we see no problem with running a tournament of "second
generation" ants.  We only request that people submit ants that are
"nontrivially different" from the ones entered in the official contest.

In fact, we're quite interested to see what kinds of strategies people
can come up with, given a longer time to think about ant programming.
We may even submit some of our own ants... :-)

   - Benjamin

BENJAMIN C. PIERCE, Professor
Dept. of Computer & Information Science
University of Pennsylvania                                    +1 215 898-2012
3330 Walnut St.                                          Fax: +1 215 898-0587
Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA                http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce