[POPLmark] Experience report with Twelf

Brian E. Aydemir baydemir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Aug 31 15:14:34 EDT 2005

On 30 Aug 2005, at 15:52, Jevgenijs Sallinens wrote:

> As I suspect (nobody answered my previous e-mail in that respect),
> F-sub  described in the challenge is exactly the same proven by
> Benjamin to be undesidable (for subtyping (and therefore for
> typing) relation).

Right.  Benjamin proved that the subtyping and typing relations of
pure F-sub (without records) are undecidable, and the result carries
over to F-sub extended with records.

> This lloks basicly making impossible to present solution for
> problem 2 of challenge 3 (at least with Coq), since reflexive-
> transitive closure of evaluation relation could not be given as
> always terminating total computable function (to be presented in
> Coq with fixpoint definitions).

Unlike in Featherweight Java, a derivation of "t1 --> t2" in F-sub
does not require the construction of any subtyping derivations.
Thus, the undecidability of the subtyping and typing relations does
not necessarily imply that the evaluation relation is also undecidable.

-Brian