[POPLmark] Poplmark Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

Daniel C. Wang danwang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Jun 1 02:47:50 EDT 2006

So, I'm curious how much work is it to extend your lambda-calculus term
language? How, reusable is the theory so I can build arbitrary term
languages with binders? I'll have to admit that I suspect nominal
approaches see very appealing right now.

Thanks, for pointing out the errors in the statement of the theorem,
some were just typos the other were just sloppiness on my part.

So this task really is small. I'd urge everyone to give it a try. I had
thought about doing this using standard first-order encodings and
approaches using higher-order syntax with the usual set of tools, and
realized all of the tools had "challenges" for this task. In any case, I
think more "micro-benchmarks" targeted to evaluate specific aspects of a
system are much more constructive then "macro-benchmarks".

Micro-benchmarks should be short and clearly define what part of the
system the micro-benchmark exercises. My claim is that the lambda-height
challenge that I've proposed tests how easy it is to reuse and integrate
existing theories of binding and other theories such as the natural numbers.

There are perhaps other specific areas worth constructing simple
challenge problems for such as maintaining  a context of  facts and
induction over open terms. I think it's worth thinking about how to
decompose the features needed to do "real proofs"  rather than just
trying to jump into large scale proving without a clear idea of where
you think the challenges will be. Coming up with micro-benchmarks forces
you to decompose the problem into a set of concrete criteria. I think
the current poplmark challenge fails in that respect.