[POPLmark] The purpose of challenge problems?

Karl Crary crary at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 1 14:27:10 EDT 2006

It's struck me that there's been a bit of a disconnect in the last
week's discussion of new challenge problems.  I think the issue is that
we are not in agreement as to their purpose.  So I'd like to ask the
question, what is the purpose to a new challenge problem?

The purpose of the original Poplmark challenge, as I understood it, was
to pose a problem dealing with an interesting set of language features
in order to see how well various technologies dealt with those
features.  Moreover, in order to keep the challenge from being too
artificial, the problem was selected to be one with some intrinsic merit.

So what would be the purpose of a new set of smaller, easier problems?
I'm not sure.  Perhaps they are just for fun, in which case I'm simply
being a killjoy.  But I don't see any way in which they advance our
state of knowledge about the area.

There's also been talk of proposing another Poplmark-sized challenge,
exercising a different set of issues.  How profitable that would depends
on how well the selection of features is made.  But it seems clear in
any case that each iteration tells us less.

So I would like to suggest an alternative challenge problem: Use the
system of your choice to formalize your own work.  This challenge is
natural, and is guaranteed to exercise the features of interest to you.

Clearly this is the future of the area, so is there any reason why we
shouldn't get on with it?  Challenge problems are fun, but I would much
rather read about real results.

    -- Karl