[POPLmark] Poplmark Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

Aaron Stump stump at cse.wustl.edu
Mon Jun 5 11:21:52 EDT 2006

[ responding to Karl, see below ]

I appreciate the very clear and helpful way in which you are describing
the connection between adequacy and normalization.  Coq encodings are
every bit as adequate as Twelf encodings, however, because CIC does
enjoy strong normalization.  Indeed, I dispute the point you make below
that adequacy is obvious for LF and complicated for other systems,
precisely because (as you probably know better than I) adequacy depends
on the existence of canonical forms in LF, which is arguably a *deeper*
result than normalization for CIC.  In my current work I am bumping up
against the lack of extensionality in Coq, so I have a renewed
appreciation for extensionality in LF.  Nevertheless, extensionality
makes LF, in this respect, a stronger type theory than CIC.  It is
needed for the representation techniques typically used with LF, so it
is really essential.  A satisfactory account of the meta-theory with
extensionality (again, as I'm sure you know better than I) proved quite
difficult and was a significant research accomplishment of your
colleagues at CMU.  In contrast, the meta-theory of type theories like
CIC's without extensionality is easier.

So both for Coq and LF, adequacy depends on normalization.  The question
of which system has an an easier normalization result and hence a
simpler account of adequacy is at the very least, not as overwhelmingly
in LF's favor as you claim.

Aaron