[POPLmark] The purpose of challenge problems?

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 5 23:56:05 EDT 2006

Continuing a previous discussion... :-)

> It's struck me that there's been a bit of a disconnect in the last
> week's discussion of new challenge problems.  I think the issue is
> that
> we are not in agreement as to their purpose.  So I'd like to ask the
> question, what is the purpose to a new challenge problem?

For me, there are two main motivations for thinking about new
challenge problems:

1) Several people (Randy Pollack, for example) have made the point
that, in some sense, the POPLMark challenge as it stands may be too
*easy*.  Although it's got non-trivial binding problems and some
slightly intricate inductive proofs, there may be other binding
situations (dependent records have been mentioned as an example,
IIRC) that will stress terms-with-binding representation strategies
significantly harder than Fsub does.  Since representation of binding
keeps appearing as a key issue in formalizing POPL-like proofs, this
would be nice to know more about.

2) Looking beyond variable binding, one might wonder how various
proof assistants fare on a broad range of tasks that come up in POPL-
ish reasoning.  Inductive proofs are the bread and butter, which is
why the original POPLMark  Challenge focused there, but one also
wants to know that one's assistant will be good for co-induction,
logical relations arguments, combinatorial reasoning involving
significant numerical manipulations, algebra, etc., etc.

Of the two, (1) is both more immediate and better delimited, so
perhaps it is good to focus there.  But it would be even nicer to
identify problems with aspects of both 1 and 2 -- this was the reason
for thinking about things like pi-calculus.

Regards,

      - Benjamin