[TYPES/announce] Paper on Typed Parametric Polymorphism for Aspects

James Riely jriely at cti.depaul.edu
Tue May 2 10:10:00 EDT 2006

I'd like to announce the following Technical Report, to be published
soon in a special issue of SCP.  The paper is available from

  http://condor.depaul.edu/~jriely/papers/06scp.pdf

  Typed Parametric Polymorphism for Aspects.
  R. Jagadeesan, A. Jeffrey, and J. Riely.
  Science of Computer Programming, 2006, To Appear.

  Abstract: We study the incorporation of generic types in aspect
  languages. Since advice acts like method update, such a study has to
  accommodate the subtleties of the interaction of classes,
  polymorphism and aspects. Indeed, simple examples demonstrate that
  current aspect compiling techniques do not avoid runtime type
  errors.  We explore type systems with polymorphism for two models of
  parametric polymorphism: the type erasure semantics of Generic Java,
  and the type carrying semantics of designs such as generic C#.  Our
  main contribution is the design and exploration of a source-level
  type system for a parametric OO language with aspects.  We prove
  progress and preservation properties.  We believe our work is the
  first source-level typing scheme for an aspect-based extension of a
  parametric object-oriented language.

Comments most welcome
James