[TYPES/announce] Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Positions at Purdue

Suresh Jagannathan suresh at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Aug 29 10:51:39 EDT 2006

[ Applications from candidates with research interests in type
   systems are particularly welcome.]

Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Positions Available
Secure Software Systems Laboratory
Department of Computer Science
Purdue Univeristy

The Purdue University S3 Laboratory invites applications for Doctoral
Student and Post-doctoral Fellow positions. The S3 Lab was created in
1999
to foster systems and programming language research. It is run
jointly by
Patrick Eugster, Tony Hosking, Suresh Jagannathan, and Jan Vitek. We
investigate the application of static and dynamic program analyses to
object-oriented, functional, and real-time programs for the purposes of
optimization and validation of correctness and security properties.
We also
develop open source software in the areas of mobile and untrusted
computation, embedded systems, concurrent and distributed systems, and
persistent programming.  Our active research directions include
software transactions, intrusion detection, ownership types, real-time
Java, aspect-oriented programming, semantics of concurrency control,
and static program analysis.

Our work has current funding from the National Science Foundation,
DARPA, IBM,
Microsoft Research, Cisco, NEC, and Intel.  The lab has close ties with
industrial research labs at Motorola, Sun, IBM and Intel. We have a long
history of placing students at those labs.  We also collaborate with
researchers across the US, Europe, and Asia.

Applicants are expected to take part in the research and social life
of the
lab, interact with students and work closely with faculty. Presently,
the
lab has 12 graduate students, two Post-docs, and several
undergraduates. We
expect to hire up to four new graduate students and two additional
post-docs.  For post-doctoral positions a PhD in Computer Science is
required, for doctoral students research experience is desirable.
Preference
will be given to applicants with experience in one of the following
areas:

* Runtime Systems and Virtual Machines
* Programming Language Implementation
* Program Analysis and Formal Verification
* Type Systems & Language Semantics
* Real-time and Embedded Systems

Applicants should send a CV, a statement of research interests, and
the name
of three references who may be contacted for letters of recommendation.
Application material and inquiries should be sent to either one of:

-  Suresh Jagannathan, suresh at cs.purdue.edu
-  Tony Hosking, hosking at cs.purdue.edu
-  Jan Vitek, jv at cs.purdue.edu

Purdue is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Purdue University, the largest land-grant college of Indiana, has
achieved
international recognition in the areas of engineering, and science.  The
West Lafayette campus of Purdue enrolls about 38,000 students. Purdue
University is located in West Lafayette, Indiana, which lies on the
banks of
the Wabash River. Lafayette can be reached by car from Indianapolis
in one
hour and from downtown Chicago in two hours. The larger Lafayette-West
Lafayette area (population 130,000) has shopping malls, restaurants
of note,
two hospitals, two large municipal parks, and five golf courses.

The Department of Computer Science at Purdue University, West
Lafayette, was formed in 1962 and is recognized as one of the top
computer
science programs in the country. The department offers the degrees
of Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Ph.D. in Computer
Science.
Currently, we have about 750 undergraduate majors and 180 graduate
students working towards degrees.