[TYPES/announce] Fields Workshop on Traced Monoidal Cats (Second Announcement)

Phil Scott phil at site.uottawa.ca
Thu Jan 18 09:36:21 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues:

We would like to announce the following:

A Fields Institute Sponsored Workshop

Recent advances in category theory and logic:
Applications of traces to algebra, analysis and
categorical logic

University of Ottawa
April 28-30, 2007

The abstract theory of traces has had a fundamental impact on a variety of
fields within mathematics. These range from functional analysis and
noncommutative geometry to topology and knot theory, and more recently to
logic and theoretical computer science. The theory of traced monoidal
categories, due to Joyal, Street and Verity, is an attempt to unify various
notions of trace that occur in these diverse branches of mathematics. More
recent developments include several theories of partial traces in monoidal
categories.

The Logic and Foundations of Computing Group at the University of Ottawa, with
funding from the Fields Institute, is proud to host a workshop to explore
these topics. The purpose of this workshop is to bring together researchers in
these fields to look for common developments, models, and applications of
trace theory. Among the applications are various notions of parametrized
traces arising in operator algebras, in the theory of feedback and recursion
in theoretical computer science, in braid closure in knot theory, and in
dynamics of proofs as expressed by Linear Logic and the Geometry of
Interaction.

Some invited speakers include:

Samson Abramsky (Oxford)
Robin Cockett (Calgary)
Andre Joyal (UQAM)
Louis Kauffman (Illinois)
Mathias Neufang (Carleton)
Timothy Porter (Bangor)

We will be announcing further speakers shortly. This is intended to be a
workshop, with student participation in mind, including introductory lectures.
We will have some funding for student travel and accommodation. Students
interested in receiving financial aid should contact the organizers by January
30th.

Anyone interested in attending or contributing a talk should contact us by the
above date.

We hope to see you there.

The organizers:

Phil Scott (phil at site.uottawa.ca)