[TYPES/announce] Normalisation Control in Deep Inference Via Atomic Flows

Alessio Guglielmi Lists at Alessio.Guglielmi.name
Fri Jul 6 17:03:03 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

Tom Gundersen and I would like to advertise a paper on a new proof
normalisation method, which might be of interest to the types
community: <http://cs.bath.ac.uk/ag/p/NormContrDIAtFl.pdf>. Comments
are very welcome.

Cheers,

-Alessio Guglielmi

Normalisation Control in Deep Inference Via Atomic Flows

We introduce diagrams, called 'atomic flows', that forget much of the
syntactic structure of derivations and only retain causal relations
between atoms. Using atomic flows on propositional logic, we can
design and control several normalisation procedures. In particular,
we can obtain cut elimination as a special case of more general
normal forms. This technique only relies on substituting derivations
in the place of atoms, similarly to natural deduction, and not on
permuting inference steps, as in the sequent calculus. Because they
abstract away from most syntactic details, atomic flows allow for
very simple control of normalisation procedures, which would be
otherwise cumbersome in the bare syntax. We operate in deep
inference, a very general methodology, where normalisation is more
difficult to control than in other syntactic paradigms.

Deep inference web page: <http://alessio.guglielmi.name/res/cos>