[TYPES/announce] [Tenure-track Faculty Positions, Seoul National University]

Kwangkeun Yi kwang at ropas.snu.ac.kr
Tue Feb 19 19:23:51 EST 2008

Openings for Tenure-track Faculty Positions in Computer Science &
Engineering
(especially in programming languages and theories)

School of Computer Science & Engineering
Seoul National University (http://www.useoul.edu)

Details: http://cse.snu.ac.kr/english/FacultyPositions.htm
(* Note: though the above page says the applications are closing in
Feb., we are open for applications year-round. *)

School of Computer Science & Engineering, Seoul National University has
opennings for tenure-track faculty positions in all areas of computer
science. We are very much interested in hiring new members in
programming languages and theories.

Applicants are expected to have significant research potential, and
would normally be expected to progress to tenure, by meeting, in due
time, the university's requirements for promotion to associate professor
(4-5 years) and full professor (another 5-6 years).

Applicants will be expected to lecture in English. Good competence in
oral and written communication in English is essential for this position.

- Annual salary from USD 60K to 100K, with generous taxation rates
- On-campus university housing provided (2 or 3 bedrooms, 2-year old)
- Start-up research grant is provided, sufficient to support up to two
graduate students, initial-year travels, and initial office and lab
equipments
- Teaching loads: each faculty is expected to teach two courses per
semester; normally, one for undergraduate level and the second for
graduate level.

-----
Background

- The university: Seoul National University is Korea's leading
university; in rankings, it has always out-performed other Korean
universities, and is the preferred destination of top Korean high school
students. It ranks with the leading universities in the Asia-Pacific
region, particularly in research performance. It has been encouraging
research excellence, and a commitment to supporting the research efforts
of faculty.

- The School of Computer Science & Engineering: We currently have 30
faculty members of almost all areas in computer science and engineering.
But we need to strengthen the areas of computer science foundations,
which was a strong recommendation of our international advisory board
members too.

- Location: The university is situated in a wilderness valley on the
outskirts of Seoul, surrounded by rugged mountains. Yet it is a short
ten-minute bus-ride to bustling shopping areas, where you may join the
highly efficient Seoul metro system, and explore the great metropolis,
one of the World's largest (and highly prosperous) cities. Seoul is
geographically in between Beijing and Tokyo, with two-hour flight to
each city.

-----
If interested, please contact with

Prof. Kwangkeun Yi