[TYPES/announce] Russel'08, final call

Ulrich Berger U.Berger at swansea.ac.uk
Wed Feb 27 08:24:16 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

here is a reminder about the Russell'08 conference taking
place soon in Swansea:

     Final call for contributed talks and participation
             (Deadline Friday 29 February 2008)

                       Russell'08

              Proof Theory meets Type Theory

      A "Small Workshop" of the European TYPES Project

              Swansea, Wales, 15-16 March 2008

     http://cs.swan.ac.uk/~csetzer/russell08/index.html

In 1908 the British Philosopher and Mathematician Bertrand Russell,
who was born and died in Wales, published the article "Mathematical
Logic as based on the Theory of Types" which contained a first matured
exposition of Type Theory.  In the same year, Ernst Zermelo's
"Untersuchungen ueber die Grundlagen der Mengenlehre I" introduced the
basis of current axiomatic set theory as an alternative approach to
the foundations of Mathematics.  A central theme of Proof Theory is to
compare these different foundations.  Proof Theory uses as its main
tool ordinal notation systems, the basis of which was laid by Oswald
Veblen in his paper "Continuous Increasing Functions of Finite and
Transfinite Ordinals", again in 1908.

A century later, Proof Theory and Type Theory are flourishing more
than ever before, and their manifold interconnections are driving
important developments in Mathematics and Computer Science.

At this workshop we meet and discuss cutting edge research at the
interface of Proof Theory and Type Theory.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

    - Proof Theory of Type Theory
    - Relationship between Type Theory and Set Theory
    - Program extraction from proofs
    - Normalisation and Cut-elimination
    - New approaches to ordinal analysis
    - Universes and reflection principles
    - Equality in Type Theory
    - Philosophical and historical aspects
      of Proof Theory and Type Theory

Invited Speakers:
         Erik Palmgren
         Michael Rathjen
         More to be confirmed

Participation and Contributed Talks:

   Please send an email to Anton Setzer (a.g.setzer at swansea.ac.uk)
   as soon as possible, but no later than the 29th of February 2008.
   We will need an abstract as well, which will be published on the
   web site.
   There will be a fee (20 £) for coffee breaks and other expenses
   related to this workshop.

Dr. Ulrich Berger
Department of Computer Science
Swansea University