[TYPES/announce] Second CFP - ECOOP'08 Doctoral Symposium and PhD Students Workshop

Hills, Mark A mhills at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 4 00:10:32 EST 2008

      Call For Submissions

      18th Doctoral Symposium and PhD Students Workshop
      at ECOOP'08
      July 7 or July 8, 2008,
      Paphos, Cyprus

      http://2008.ecoop.org/doctoral.html

GOALS

The main goals of the event are:

     1. to allow PhD students to practice clearly writing and
        effectively presenting their research proposal;
     2. to get constructive feedback from other researchers;
     3. to build bridges for potential research collaboration;
     4. to contribute to the conference goals through interaction
        with other researchers at the main conference.

The 18th edition of the Doctoral Symposium and PhD Workshop will be held as part of ECOOP 2008 in Paphos, Cyprus. As the name suggests, this is a two-session event: a Doctoral Symposium and a PhD Students Workshop. The final date will be determined soon, and is being scheduled to minimize conflicts with co-located events. The date will be posted on the website when it is finalized.

EVENT FORMAT

This is a full-day event of interactive presentations. The first half is dedicated to the Doctoral Symposium, the second half to the PhD Students Workshop. The academic panel will also give short talks about a variety of research-related topics. Besides the formal presentations, there should be plenty of opportunities for informal interactions during lunch and dinner.

IMPORTANT DATES

- Paper submission deadline:  April 1, 2008.
- Notification of acceptance: April 30, 2008.

CALL FOR PAPERS

Potential topics are those of the main ECOOP'08 conference, i.e.
all topics related to object technology including but not restricted to:

    * Analysis, design methods and design patterns
    * Concurrent, real-time or parallel systems
    * Databases, persistence and transactions
    * Distributed and mobile systems
    * Frameworks, product lines and software architectures
    * Language design and implementation
    * Testing and metrics
    * Programming environments and tools
    * Theoretical foundations, type systems, formal methods
    * Versioning, compatibility, software evolution
    * Aspects, Components, Modularity, Reflection
    * Collaboration, Workflow

Submissions to the Doctoral Symposium should be 3-4 page abstracts in LNCS format, and must include a letter from your advisor.
Submissions to the PhD Students Workshop should be 6-8 page position papers in LNCS format, and must also include a letter from your advisor. More details about the submission requirements can be found at the event's page, http://2008.ecoop.org/doctoral.html. Submission is open.

COMMITTEE

Marwan Abi-Antoun, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

Eric Bodden, McGill University, Montreal, Canada

Giovanni Falcone, Universitat Mannheim, Germany

Mark Hills (chair and organizer), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), USA

Haidar Jabbar, Anna University, Chennai, India

Ciera Jaspan, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

Romain Robbes, Universita della Svizzera Italiana (USI), Lugano, Switzerland

Ilie Savga, Technische Universitat Dresden, Germany

Michel Soares, Technische Universiteit Delft, The Netherlands

Academic panel: TBA

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES

"The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium was a remarkable event. It was an honor to get feedback on my personal thesis topic from such well-established researchers in the field. Their comments not only encouraged me to continue with my thesis work but also gave me valuable feedback on how to refine my concrete topic and bring the overall topic into shape. In addition, I found the other students' talks to be some of the most interesting ones at ECOOP. Some of them were very inspiring even for my own work. Overall, my participation in the symposium will certainly have a great positive effect on my thesis. Apart from that it was a fun day which made me meet many interesting people."
           - Eric Bodden, participant DS ECOOP'07

MORE INFORMATION

Visit the event's page at:
http://2008.ecoop.org/doctoral.html