[TYPES/announce] ECOOP 2009 Call for Student Volunteers

Dave Clarke Dave.Clarke at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri Mar 13 13:02:19 EDT 2009

                   ECOOP'2009
23rd European Conference on Object Oriented Programming
       July 6th - 10th 2009, Genova, Italy
            http://2009.ecoop.org

         CALL FOR STUDENT VOLUNTEERS

ECOOP is pleased to offer a number of opportunities for student volunteers,
who  are vital to the efficient operation and continued success of the
conference each year. The student volunteer program is a chance for students
from around the world  to participate in the conference whilst assisting us
in preparing and running the event. We strongly encourage students to become
involved in the ECOOP student volunteer program.

Description and Benefits

Job assignments include assisting with technical sessions, workshops,
tutorials  and panels, checking badges at doors, operating the information
desk, helping  with traffic flow, and general assistance to keep the ECOOP
running smoothly.

In return for a few hours of their time, student volunteers are granted:
* Free registration to the conference
* Free access to ECOOP plenary sessions, tutorials, workshops, and demos
  (duties, space, and specific requirements permitting)

Student volunteers should be in Genova two days before the conference, that
is  from Saturday, July 4th, and help with preparations and with the
conference take-down on July 10th.

The selection of student volunteers and plan assignment is NOT done on a
first come, first served basis. The most important thing is to have an
international group of student volunteers. We try to make a balanced decision.
Also, we favor students with strong communication skills: being fluent in
English is a must.

Important Dates and Information

Application deadline: April 10, 2009
Notification of acceptance: May 4, 2009

Applicants must be Master students or full-time Ph.D. students. They should
send an e-mail to Marco Servetto (servetto at disi.unige.it) with the subject
"ECOOP SV", containing the following information:
* First name
* Last name
* Number of years in a Master or Ph.D. program
* Group / Department / University
* Complete contact information (surface mail)
* If you have a driver's license (not necessary)
* Languages spoken (at least) fairly well (fairly well means you could
  survive well in a country speaking this language only; students with
  TOEFL/TOEIC/DELF-DALF/TCF/TEF/TFI certificates should include their scores).
* A short paragraph motivating your application (including possible past
  experience as a student volunteer) and clarifying your need for financial
  support.
* Supervisor's(s') name(s) and e-mail address(es). Supervisors may be
  contacted to confirm applicants' suitability.

Accommodation and Travel Expenses

We will be doing our best to help students find good and cheap accommodation.
Sadly, covering the costs of accommodation and travel expenses is not in our
budget. In case some funds should be available, precedence will be given to
well-motivated requests.

Questions and Comments

If you have any further questions about volunteering, please feel free to
contact Marco Servetto (servetto at disi.unige.it).