[TYPES/announce] Post-doc position (4 years) available at U. of Oslo

Martin Steffen msteffen at ifi.uio.no
Fri Dec 4 11:35:44 EST 2009

ONE POSITION AS POST DOCTOR (4 YEARS)

is available at the Group for Precise Modeling and Analysis (PMA),
Department of Informatics, University of Oslo,
Norway.

Ref.no.: 2009/17782

For further application details:

http://www.admin.uio.no/opa/ledige-stillinger/2009/vitenskapelige/postdoctorInformatics-2009-17782.html

The group for Precise Modeling and Analysis (PMA) at the Department of
Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway, is working on tools, languages,
and foundations for object-oriented and component-based software
development. The group provides a working environment based on
collaboration and team work around several projects, to which the candidate
is expected to contribute. Our current general research focus includes

   * object-orientation and open distributed systems
   * specification and verification of OO-programs
   * formal methods capturing run-time modifications to OO-programs
   * language support for openness and distribution
   * rewriting logic and Maude

We are involved in a number of national and international projects; we are,
for instance, the Norwegian national representative of the European COST
action on "Formal Verification of Object-Oriented Software", and have
recently been awarded by the department the status of a group of strategic
advancement and promotion (``utviklingsmiljø'') in recognition of our
research initiatives.

PMA key researchers:

   * Olaf Owe (professor)
   * Einar Broch Johnsen  (associate professor)
   * Peter Csaba Ølveczky (associate professor)
   * Martin Steffen (associate professor)

Our research combines theoretical foundations with the goal to develop
practical tools and languages to capture software adaptability.  The
group's activities include both theoretical, foundational, and experimental
work within formal methods, semantics, and language design.  For more
information, see the following web-page:
http://www.ifi.uio.no/forskning/grupper/pma/index_e.html

Challenges to be addressed include:

o to develop abstract behavioral specification language
o to capture feature models, variability and evolvability
o to develop an accompanying methodology and analysis and validation
  methods, including
         - testing, simulation, and model-checking
         - novel type-based analyses, capturing variability and evolution
         - formal semantics and verification
         - compositional methods
         - to work on realizing the theory within a common tool platform

The candidates should have a strong background in foundations of
(object-oriented and concurrent) languages and the validation of
corresponding programs, and also have a background in some of the following
areas:

semantics of (object-oriented) programming languages, concurrency and
distributed systems, formal methods, software engineering, and program
verification.

Apart from showing background in the specified computer science topics,
applicants should have:

   *  A doctoral degree in computer science (or a comparable degree)
   *  A good ability to cooperate with others.
   *  A good ability to work on challenging problems.
   *  Good written and spoken English skills.
   *  Knowledge of Norwegian is an advantage.

We expect enthusiasm and ambition to achieve scientific goals in
collaboration with his or her colleagues, so the ideal candidate is able to
show evidence of interest in research and technology through scientific
publications.  The group offers an internationally connected, active
research environment, with close supervision of PhD students. The candidate
is expected to take part in the supervision of PhD and master students as
well as in the teaching of courses (where PMA contributes).