[TYPES/announce] Two phase reviewing for POPL; a response

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 11 22:23:33 EST 2010

Simon and others,

thanks for the feedback. While I am a member of the POPL SC until
January, this email is my personal opinion and is not to be
construed as something anyone else on the SC may subscribe to.

1. I like the idea of accepting more papers. It is a part of
every year's SC discussion. And as you probably recall from your
chairman role, the SC is quite encouraging about accepting
more papers. I tried to get more papers into my POPL. This
year again the SC is encouraging the PC to broaden the
acceptance range.

In my own experience, though, the PC tends to block attempts
to, say, double the number of papers. The idea is discussed,
potential papers are brought up, and eventually the faction
that disapproves of a larger program wears out those who are
on the 'more papers' side.

If you wish to achieve this numeric enlargement, I am afraid
you will need to set a target number, say 60 papers.

2. I strongly disagree with your description of the state of
affairs:

> When I began my academic career an author would be lucky to get
>  three scrawled sentences of review, on physical scraps of paper.
>  Nowadays authors get between three and six substantial, thoughtful
>  reviews.  That is gold dust.

I started with the same kind of paper reviews. I do not see
much of the improvement you see.

On some occasion, you get fantastic reviews (even for rejected
papers).

On many occasions, you get feedback from non-experts that is
nearly random. I won't blame the committee members here: they
are under time pressure, they have their own preferences,
and they have the backgrounds they have. We are all weak, and
we do what we can do.

Over the past few years, I have collected informal statistics
that basically suggests that submissions get about one expert
review per submission but that may mean two for one submission
and none for another. Yes, a good number of papers are rejected
without knowledgeable review.

The expectation with a two-phase review is this:

-- At the first, physical meeting papers w/o expert reviews
are discovered. They get to respond to their preliminary reviews
and the PC will figure out how to get appropriate reviewers
for these papers. No more 'over night, after dinner'
expert reviews.

-- Papers with a fixable weakness are sent back to authors so
that they can demonstrate clearly how to overcome this weakness.
Hopefully this will help get some less-finished ideas
into the conference and turn the 'oral journal' that POPL currently
is into a real conference again.

3. The two-tier proposal is a compromise that a dozen or so
representative POPL community members have worked out. Like all
compromises they don't make people 100% happy. I can only speak
for myself; I am in the not-100% happy camp.

But after discussing this issue for the entire fall, I believe that
the (once again) suggested increase of acceptances and this
proposal may get POPL moving in the right direction. I do consider it
an experiment -- as I am sure others on the SC do, too -- that should
be evaluated in a few years. If it moves in the wrong direction,
we go back to the status quo or we try a different change.
It it turns out to be an improvement, we can still try other
modifications.

-- Matthias