[TYPES/announce] Two phase reviewing for POPL; a response

Robert Harper rwh at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 13 16:14:38 EST 2010

After reading many of the thoughtful responses, I thought it might be
worthwhile to add a few further remarks:

1. Mostly, I am against the ever-increasing officiousness of the
conference reviewing process: double-blind reviews, author response
period, two-stage review process, absurd conflict of interest rules,
program committee make-up restrictions, etc, etc, etc.  It's all
totally unnecessary and in many cases counterproductive.  For example,
the outlandish conflict of interest rules have ensured in many cases
that no competent person can review a submission, because anyone with
any expertise may well have had a beer with the author within the last
fifteen years (or whatever the current rule may be).

2. I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea that it may make sense to
expand the number of papers presented at the top conferences.  Here I
find Mike Mislove's proposal most persuasive (in fact, we're already
doing this to some extent).  Why not hold a Federated Programming
Languages Conference in which we, at least on occasion and perhaps
regularly, seek to consolidate as many meetings in the PL area as we
can to encourage publication and attendance?

3. The tenure and promotion process is always a vexed issue because
the fact is that the decision is pretty much invariably made in a
state of ignorance by most of those involved.  We rely heavily on
letters of reference, and letter writers back up their claims about a
candidate by pointing to publications in venues like POPL.  This
process is imperfect, but it's not as though there's a better one just
waiting to be adopted.  Meanwhile, why should POPL neuter itself as
playing a decisive role in determining the direction of the field?  It
will be determined _somehow_ by a process that is surely to be
imperfect; I don't see that relyng on publication at POPL as an all-
that-terrible a way to do things.

Bob