[TYPES/announce] Two phase reviewing for POPL; a response

Michael Hicks mwh at cs.umd.edu
Sat Jan 16 17:20:49 EST 2010

> It happened to me to review a short and very well written paper (for
> a journal) whose claims looked to me absolutely impossible,
> outrageous. After reading (= studying) the paper for days, I still
> was in the dark, and had to dig out some older results the paper was
> relying upon, and this took me weeks of study. The paper was right,
> it was accepted, and it changed dramatically my own research ever
> since. A fantastic idea. I wonder what I would have done of that
> paper in 40 minutes.

I don't know the paper, but I disagree with the implication that great
papers will somehow be precluded from publication indefinitely if they
are not immediately accepted.  As Greg Morrisett previously noted,
there are many other high-quality publication venues if the paper is
not selected for POPL.  Indeed, revision may be required to make the
paper great.

When I review a paper, I am interested in the technical idea in the
paper *and* how well the paper communicates that idea to the reader.
Indeed, these two things are tied together.  As a rule of thumb, I've
found that if I can't understand the basic idea and why it works, the
novelty of the idea, and its potential impact within 40 minutes,
there's reason to believe that POPL readers would be similarly vexed,
give up on the paper, and thus get little from it.  Understanding all
of the technical details for the general case is another matter and
will take longer; but the basic idea and approach should be clear
enough after an hour.

I have been in conversations with people who have complained that a
particular published paper is not very deep/interesting/insightful/
etc. but after some discussion realize there is more to the paper than
they thought, but the paper fails to communicate it clearly.  Perhaps
the paper could use better motivation, a few key examples, a careful
description of an elided algorithm, better comparison to a related
approach, ... whatever.  As a reviewer, I try to suggest where I'm
having trouble understanding the paper, how it could make its points
better, etc. so the authors can revise accordingly.

So while POPL PCs may not select eventually-great papers, I think it
would be even more tragic for a paper to be published prematurely, and
thus a potentially great idea not appreciated, especially when that
idea could have been more widely understood after a round of revision.

-Mike