[TYPES/announce] Chair and Readership in Computer Security and Algorithms and Computational Complexity

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 05:36:39 EST 2010

Readers familiar with the School of Informatics and LFCS will know
that we have a special affinity for types, so we would welcome
applications from those following type-based approaches to security
and complexity.  (Not that we exclude those following other
approaches!)

We are hoping to fill the positions with a professor and a reader, but
we welcome applications from strong candidates at any level; the chair
may go to either the security or complexity post.  Note that the
professorial salary listed is the low end of the scale.  Please
contact me if you have any questions.  Cheers,  -- P

The University of Edinburgh
School of Informatics
Chair and Readership
in
(A) Computer Security
and
(B) Algorithms and Computational Complexity

The University of Edinburgh invites applications for two posts, from
candidates with research of international standing, one Chaired
Professorship and one Readership (approximately associate
professorship), in TWO areas:

(A) Computer Security

The appointee will have an outstanding research record in one or more
areas of computer security. Areas that match our current strengths
include: theoretical foundations of security, database security,
programming language based security, security properties of mobile and
concurrent systems, automated logical analysis of protocol
correctness, and security analysis of APIs. Applications are also
highly encouraged from areas that complement our current strengths:
cryptography and network security.

The post will be associated with the Scottish Informatics and Computer
Science Alliance (SICSA) and it is anticipated that the appointee will
join the Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science (LFCS).

(B) Algorithms and Computational Complexity

The appointee will have an excellent research record in any active
area of algorithms and computational complexity including:  randomized
algorithms, approximation algorithms, combinatorial optimization,
algorithmic game theory, complexity theory, and distributed
algorithms.

The successful candidate is anticipated to join the Laboratory for
Foundations of Computer Science within the School of Informatics. The
laboratory’s current research in algorithms and complexity covers
randomized algorithms, algorithmic game theory, computational
complexity, approximation algorithms, combinatorial and stochastic
optimization, algebraic complexity, quantum computing, and descriptive
complexity.

Salary details

Chair: Grade 10 – salary from £53,650 pa.

Reader: Grade 9 – salary £47,278 to £52,086 pa.

Candidates for the posts may be in either area. Appointment at
lecturer level (grade 8: £36,532 - £43,622 pa) may be considered for a
less experienced, but exceptional candidate.

Closing date for applications for both posts:  26 February 2010.

--
.\ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science
./\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.