[TYPES/announce] Final Call For Submissions Doctoral Symposium and PhD Students Workshop ECOOP 2010

Beatrice Åkerblom beatrice at dsv.su.se
Sun Apr 18 16:51:29 EDT 2010

This is the final call for submissions to the ECOOP'10 Doctoral
Symposium in Maribor, Slovenia. The deadline has been extended
until the 30th of April to encourage additional submissions and
because we are pleased to announce that AITO will once again be
supporting the participants by subsidising their travel costs.

Please remind any PhD students that might be interested that this is an
excellent way to get valuable feedback on their work from both their
peers and from leading researchers in their field, and also to attend a
world-class conference.

Regards,

Beatrice Åkerblom
Stockholm University, Sweden

    Call For Submissions
    --------------------
    20th Doctoral Symposium and PhD Students Workshop
    at ECOOP'10
    Monday, June 21st, 2010,
    Maribor, Slovenia

    http://ecoop2010.uni-mb.si/doctoral_symposium.html

Goals
-----

The 2010 Doctoral Symposium and PhD Student Workshop provides a
forum for both early and late-stage PhD students to present their
research and get detailed feedback and advice. The main objectives
of this event are:

* to allow PhD students to practice writing clearly and
  to effectively present their research proposal
* to get constructive feedback from other researchers
* to build bridges for potential research collaboration
* to contribute to the conference goals through interaction
  with other researchers at the main conference.

The 20th edition of the Doctoral Symposium and PhD Workshop will
be held as part of ECOOP 2010, Maribor, Slovenia. As the name
suggests, this is a two-session event: a Doctoral Symposium and a
PhD Students Workshop.

Please be advised that AITO has once again generously offered to
subsidise the travel costs for attendees.

Event Format
------------

This is a full-day event of interactive presentations. Morning and
early afternoon will be dedicated to the Doctoral Symposium, with
late afternoon dedicated to the PhD Workshop. Besides the formal
presentations, there will be plenty of opportunities for informal
interactions during lunch and (possibly) dinner. It is planned
that, like in 2009, members of the academic panel will give short
presentations on a variety of topics related to doing research.

Important Dates
---------------

Paper submission deadline:
April 30th, 2010

Notification of acceptance:
May 13th, 2010

Doctoral Symposium and PhD Workshop
June 21, 2010

If accepted for presentation, the student's advisor must email
the chair no later than June 14th and confirm that the advisor
attended at least one of the student's presentation rehearsals.

Call For Papers
---------------

Potential topics are those of the main ECOOP'10 conference, i.e.
all topics related to object technology including but not
restricted to:

* Architecture, Design Patterns
* Aspects, Components, Modularity, Separation of Concerns
* Collaboration, Workflow
* Concurrency, Real-time, Embeddedness, Mobility, Distribution
* Databases, Persistence, Transactions
* Domain Specific Languages, Language Workbenches
* Dynamicity, Adaptability, Reflection
* Frameworks, Product Lines, Generative Programming
* HCI, User Interfaces
* Language Design, Language Constructs, Static Analysis
* Language Implementation, Virtual Machines, Partial Evaluation
* Methodology, Process, Practices, Metrics
* Model Engineering, Design Languages, Transformations
* Requirements Analysis, Business Modeling
* Software Evolution, Versioning
* Theoretical Foundations, Formal methods
* Tools, Programming environments

Doctoral Symposium
------------------

The goal of the doctoral symposium session is to provide PhD students
with useful feedback towards the successful completion of their
dissertation research. Each student is assigned an academic panel,
based on the specifics of that student's research. The student will
give a presentation of 15-20 minutes (exact time will be announced
later), followed by 15-20 minutes of questions and feedback. The
experience is meant to mimic a "mini-" defense interview. Aside from
the actual feedback, this helps the student gain familiarity with the
style and mechanics of such an interview (advisors of student
presenters will not be allowed to attend their student's
presentations).

To participate, the students should be far enough in their research
to be able to present:

* the importance of the problem
* a clear research proposal
* some preliminary work/results
* an evaluation plan

The students should still have at least 12 months before defending
their dissertation. We believe that students that are defending
within a year would not be able to incorporate the feedback they
receive.

To participate, please submit:

* a 3-4 page abstract in the llncs format.
* a letter from your advisor. This letter should include an assessment of the
  current status of your dissertation research and an expected date for
  dissertation submission. The advisor should e-mail this letter to
  Beatrice Åkerblom (beatrice at dsv.su.se).

Abstracts should be sumbitted to:

 http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsecoop10

The abstract should focus on the following:

* Problem Description
  - what is the problem?
  - what is the significance of this problem?
  - why the current state of the art can not solve this problem?

* Goal Statement
  - what is the goal of your research?
  - what artifacts (tools, theories, methods) will be produced,
    and how do they address the stated problem? How are the
    artifacts going to help reach the stated goal?

* Method
  - what experiments, prototypes, or studies need to be
    produced/executed?
  - what is the validation strategy? How will it demonstrate
    that the goal was reached?

Note that this is not a typical technical paper submission, and that the
focus is not on technical details, but rather on research method.

Each submission will be reviewed by at least three members of the
committee.

Phd Students Workshop
---------------------

This session is addressed primarily to PhD students in the early stages
of their PhD work. The goal is to allow participants to present their
research ideas and obtain feedback from the rest of the workshop
attendees. Each participant will give a 10-15 minute presentation,
followed by 10-15 minutes of discussions (exact times will be
announced later).

To participate, please submit:

* 6-10 page position paper in the llncs format, presenting your idea
  or current work;
* a support letter from your advisor. The advisor should e-mail this
  letter to Beatrice Åkerblom (beatrice at dsv.su.se).

Position papers should be submitted to:

http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsecoop10

The position paper should contain (at least):

* a problem description;
* a detailed sketch of a proposed approach;
* related work.

As this is earlier-stage research, it is not necessary to have concrete
results from this research presented in the paper. Instead, the goal of
the paper is to inform the reader of a (well-motivated) problem and to
present a high level (possible) solution.

Committee
---------

* Zaid Altahat
* Cristian Dittamo, University of Pisa, Italy
* Antonio Cuni, University of Genova, Italy
* Salman Mirghasemi, EPFL, Switzerland
* Khan Muhammad, INRIA Sophia, France
* Marco Servetto
* Beatrice Å≈kerblom (chair), Stockholm University, Sweden

Academic panel: TBA

Previous Experiences

  The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium is an excellent place to meet many
  interesting people and discuss new ideas related to your research
  topic. It has a friendly atmosphere which makes everybody welcomed and
  relaxed. By attending the PhD symposium last year, I had the opportunity
  to engage in new collaborations with researchers from different
  institutions. I also received feedback from both well-established
  researchers and fellow PhD students which had a great positive effect on
  my thesis. I would certainly recommend all PhD students to attend the
  ECOOP PhD Symposium and Workshop.

  Eduardo Figueiredo, participant DS ECOOP'08

  The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium was a remarkable event. It was an honor to
  get feedback on my personal thesis topic from such well-established
  researchers in the field. Their comments not only encouraged me to
  continue with my thesis work but also gave me valuable feedback on how to
  refine my concrete topic and bring the overall topic into shape. In
  addition, I found the other students' talks to be some of the most
  interesting ones at ECOOP. Some of them were very inspiring even for my
  own work. Overall, my participation in the symposium will certainly have a
  great positive effect on my thesis. Apart from that it was a fun day which
  made me meet many interesting people.

  Eric Bodden, participant DS ECOOP'07

More information