[TYPES/announce] Doctoral Symposium on Object-Oriented Programming - ECOOP (UK)

Hesam Samimi hesam at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:45:32 EST 2011

Hi PhD students in Programming Languages!

This year's Doctoral Symposium at ECOOP occurs in Lancaster, UK.
Please consider submitting your research work. The acceptance rate
is really good. You get to have top notch guys in the field give
you feedback on your work! You also may be able to get studentships
from the conference to cover some of the travel costs.

Academic panel this year is not yet set, but previous academic panels
included names like James Noble, Gary Leavens, and Todd Millstein!

 Call for Papers:

 DS-ECOOP 2011
 25th European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming
 Doctoral Symposium and PhD Student Workshop

 http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=calls/doctoral

 Important Dates

Paper submission due:			15 April, 2011
Acceptance notification:		20 May, 2011
Doctoral Symposium and PhD Workshop:	25 July, 2011

 Goal

ECOOP 2011 in Lancaster UK hosts the 21st edition of the Doctoral Symposium
and PhD Student Workshop along-side the various workshops. As the name
suggests, this is a two-session event: a Doctoral Symposium and a PhD Student
Workshop. The Doctoral Symposium and PhD Student Workshop provides a forum
for both early and late-stage PhD students to present their research and get
detailed feedback and advice.

The main objectives of this event are:

- to allow PhD students to practice writing clearly and to present
  effectively their research proposal
- to get constructive feedback from other researchers
- to build bridges for potential research collaboration
- to contribute to the conference goals through interaction with other
  researchers at the main conference

 Studentships

Participants of Doctoral Symposium and PhD Student Workshop are eligible to
apply for studentships to receive financial support for travel costs. Further
details regarding studentship applications is available at:

  http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=content/studentships

 Event Format

This is a full-day event of interactive presentations. Morning and early
afternoon will be dedicated to the Doctoral Symposium, with late afternoon
dedicated to the PhD Student Workshop. Besides the formal presentations,
there will be plenty of opportunities for informal interactions during lunch
and (possibly) dinner. It is planned that members of the academic panel will
give short presentations on a variety of topics related to doing research.

 Topics

Potential topics are those of the main conference (see
http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk), i.e. all topics related to object
technology. The following list of suggested topics is by no means exclusive:

- Analysis and design methods and patterns
- Databases, persistence, transactions
- Distributed, concurrent, mobile, real-time systems
- Empirical and application studies
- Frameworks, product lines, software architectures
- Language design and implementation
- Modularity, aspects, features, components, services, reflection
- Software development environments and tools
- Static and dynamic software analysis, testing, and metrics
- Theoretical foundations, type systems, formal methods
- Versioning, compatibility, software evolution

 Doctoral Symposium

The goal of the doctoral symposium session is to provide PhD students with
useful feedback towards the successful completion of their dissertation
research. Each student is assigned an academic panel, based on the specifics
of that student's research. The student will give a presentation of 15-20
minutes (exact time will be announced later), followed by 15-20 minutes of
questions and feedback. The experience is meant to mimic a "mini-" defense
interview. Aside from the actual feedback, this helps the student gain
familiarity with the style and mechanics of such an interview (advisors of
student presenters will not be allowed to attend their student's
presentations). To participate, the students should be far enough in their
research to be able to present:

- the importance of the problem
- a clear research proposal
- some preliminary work/results
- an evaluation plan

The students should still have at least 12 months before defending their
dissertation. We believe that students that are defending within a year would
not be able to incorporate the feedback they receive.

To participate, please submit:

- a 3-4 page abstract in the llncs format
- a letter from your advisor. This letter should include an assessment of the
  current status of your dissertation research and an expected date for
  dissertation submission.
  The advisor should e-mail this letter to ecoop11-ds at comp.lancs.ac.uk

Abstracts should be submitted to:

  http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsecoop11

The abstract should focus on the following:

1. Problem Description

- what is the problem?
- what is the significance of this problem?
- why the current state of the art can not solve this problem?

2. Goal Statement

- what is the goal of your research?
- what artifacts (tools, theories, methods) will be produced, and how do they
  address the stated problem? How are the artifacts going to help reach the
  stated goal?

3. Method

- what experiments, prototypes, or studies need to be produced/executed?
- what is the validation strategy? How will it demonstrate that the goal was
  reached?

Note that this is not a typical technical paper submission, and that the
focus is not on technical details, but rather on research method.

Each submission will be reviewed by at least three members of the committee.

If accepted for presentation, the student's advisor must email the chair no
later than 18 July, 2011 and confirm that the advisor attended at least one
of the student's presentation rehearsals.

 PhD Student Workshop

This session is addressed primarily to PhD students in the early stages of
their PhD work. The goal is to allow participants to present their research
ideas and obtain feedback from the rest of the workshop attendees. Each
participant will give a 10-15 minute presentation, followed by 10-15 minutes
of discussions (exact times will be announced later).

To participate, please submit:

- 6-10 page position paper in the llncs format, presenting your idea or
  current work
- a support letter from your advisor. The advisor should e-mail this letter
  to ecoop11-ds at comp.lancs.ac.uk

Position papers should be submitted to:

  http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsecoop11

The position paper should contain (at least):

- a problem description
- a detailed sketch of a proposed approach
- related work

As this is earlier-stage research, it is not necessary to have concrete
results from this research presented in the paper. Instead, the goal of the
paper is to inform the reader of a (well-motivated) problem and to present a
high level (possible) solution.

If accepted for presentation, the student's advisor must email the chair no
later than 18 July, 2011 and confirm that the advisor attended at least one
of the student's presentation rehearsals.

 Committee

- Moharram Challenger, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
- Andreas Mertgen, Technischen Universitat, Berlin, Germany
- Stephen Nelson, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Hesam Samimi, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
- Lucas Satabin, Technische Universitat, Darmstadt, Germany

 Academic Panel

 [Announced soon]

 Previous Experiences

The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium is an excellent place to meet many interesting
people and discuss new ideas related to your research topic. It has a
friendly atmosphere which makes everybody welcomed and relaxed. By attending
the PhD symposium last year, I had the opportunity to engage in new
collaborations with researchers from different institutions. I also received
feedback from both well-established researchers and fellow PhD students which
had a great positive effect on my thesis. I would certainly recommend all PhD
students to attend the ECOOP PhD Symposium and Workshop.

- Eduardo Figueiredo, participant DS ECOOP'08

The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium was a remarkable event. It was an honor to get
feedback on my personal thesis topic from such well-established researchers
in the field. Their comments not only encouraged me to continue with my
thesis work but also gave me valuable feedback on how to refine my concrete
topic and bring the overall topic into shape. In addition, I found the other
students' talks to be some of the most interesting ones at ECOOP. Some of
them were very inspiring even for my own work. Overall, my participation in
the symposium will certainly have a great positive effect on my thesis.
Apart from that it was a fun day which made me meet many interesting people.

- Eric Bodden, participant DS ECOOP'07

  More Information and Contact

For additional information about Doctoral Symposium, please visit the event
page at:

  http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=calls/doctoral

and contact the ECOOP 2011 Doctoral Symposium Chairs at email address:

  ecoop11-ds at comp.lancs.ac.uk