[TYPES/announce] EAPLS PhD Award 2011: Call for Nominations
rensink at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Oct 31 10:10:02 EDT 2011
EAPLS PhD Award 2011: Call for Nominations
The European Association for Programming Languages and Systems
has established a Best Dissertation Award in the international
research area of programming languages and systems. The award
will go to the PhD student who in the previous period has made
the most original and influential contribution to the area. The
purpose of the award is to draw attention to excellent work, to
help the career of the student in question, and to promote the
research field as a whole.
Eligible for the award are those who successfully defended their PhD
* at an academic institution in Europe
* in the field of Programming Languages and Systems
* in the period from 1 November 2010 – 1 November 2011
Candidates for the award must be nominated by their supervisor.
Nominating a candidate consists of submitting the thesis to
nomination must be accompanied by (a zip file containing)
* a letter from the supervisor describing why the thesis should be
considered for the award;
* a report from an independent researcher who has acted as examiner
of the thesis at its defense.
The theses will be evaluated with respect to originality, influence,
relevance to the field and (to a lesser degree) quality of writing.
The nominations will be evaluated and compared by an international
committee of experts from across Europe. The procedure to be
followed is analogous to the review phase of a conference. The
justification by the supervisor and the external report will play
an important role in the evaluation.
Members of the expert committee are barred from nominating their
own PhD students for the award.
The award consists of a certificate announcing the winner to have
received the EAPLS PhD award 2011. The supervisor will receive a
copy of this certificate. If possible, the certificate will be
handed out ceremonially at a suitable occasion, as for instance
the ETAPS conference.
Apart from the winner, no further ranking of nominees will be
published. The decision of the expert committee is final and
binding, and will not be subject to discussion.
31 December 2011: Deadline for nominations
16 March 2012: Announcement of the award winner
The Expert committee consists of the following members:
* Mark van den Brand, Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands
* Giorgio Ghelli, University of Pisa, Italy
* Paul Klint, CWI and University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
* Jens Knoop, Technische Universität Wien, Austria
* Greg Michaelson, Heriot-Watt University , Edinburgh, U.K.
* Arend Rensink, Universiteit Twente, The Netherlands
* Peter Van Roy, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
Further members will be confirmed shortly.
More information about the Types-announce