[TYPES/announce] CRA-W/CDC Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop

Stephanie Weirich sweirich at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 8 20:29:18 EST 2011

			CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

  CRA-W/CDC and SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop
			   Philadelphia, PA
		     (co-located with POPL 2012)

		       Tuesday January 24, 2012
	     http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~sweirich/plmw12/

We are pleased to invite students interested in programming languages
research to the first PL mentoring workshop. The goal of this workshop
is to introduce senior undergraduate and early graduate students to
research topics in programming language theory as well as provide
career mentoring advice to help them get through graduate school,
land a great job, and succeed. We have recruited leaders from the
programming language community to provide overviews of current
research topics, and have organized panels of speakers to give
students valuable advice about how to thrive in graduate school,
search for a job, and cultivate habits and skills that will help them
in research careers.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding POPL, the
Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, and takes place the
day before the main conference. One goal of the workshop is to make
the POPL conference more accessible to newcomers and we hope that
participants will stay through the entire conference.

Through the generous donation of our sponsors, we are able to provide
travel scholarships to fund student participation. These travel
scholarships will cover reasonable travel expenses (airfare, hotel and
registration fees) for attendance at both the workshop and the POPL
conference. Anyone may apply for a travel scholarship, but first
priority will be given to women and under-represented minority
applicants.

The workshop registration is open to all. Students with alternative
sources of funding for their travel and registration fees are welcome.

APPLICATION for TRAVEL SUPPORT:
The travel funding application can be accessed from the workshop web
site. The deadline for full consideration of funding is December 2,
2011. Selected participants will be notified starting December 9th and
will need to register for the workshop by December 24th.

ORGANIZERS:
Stephanie Weirich, Kathleen Fisher and Ron Garcia

SPONSORS:
The Computing Research Association's Committee on
the Status of Women (CRA-W), the Coalition to Diversify Computing
(CDC), and the ACM Special Interest Group on Programming Languages
(SIGPLAN).