[TYPES/announce] WRiPE '12: deadline extended

Nate Foster jnfoster at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Jul 27 15:53:27 EDT 2012

Due to several requests we've decided to push the submission deadline
back a few days to August 3rd (anywhere in the world). We look forward
to receiving your submissions.

                       The 2nd International Workshop
                      on Rigorous Protocol Engineering
              http://www.cs.cornell.edu/conferences/wripe2012
                            Austin, Texas, USA
                         co-located with ICNP 2012

OVERVIEW

The increased performance and maturity of verification techniques,
including the use of tools such as model checkers, theorem provers,
and SAT/SMT solvers, provides a rich set of techniques that could be
applied to the area of networking. Unfortunately these techniques are
rarely used in practice. WRiPE is an inter-disciplinary workshop that
seeks to bring together researchers from the networking, formal
methods, and programming languages communities to discuss current
research on rigorous network protocol design and implementation. The
goal of the workshop is to reinvigorate and revitalize the application
of formal methods to the design, analysis, and implementation of
protocols.

SCOPE

We include under the heading of verification any rigorous method of
synthesizing an implementation, demonstrating that an existing
implementation satisfies a given specification, or showing how
reliable conclusions can be extracted from measurements. Under network
protocols we include the traditional IP stack, emerging software
router platforms such as OpenFlow, as well as routing, transport,
application overlays, wireless protocols for carrier, enterprise, and
data center networks. We are also interested in rigorous methods for
establishing security properties of protocols.

Specific topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the
following:

* Correct-by-construction methods for developing protocols.

* Applications of model checkers, theorem provers, SAT/SMT solvers,
  and so on to network protocols.

* Techniques for synthesizing protocol implementations and
  configurations.

* Domain specific languages for describing protocols.

* Run-time techniques for formally verifying and testing the
  correctness of protocols.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission:     3 August 2012 anywhere in the world
                (extended from 31 July)
Notification:   3 September 2012
Camera-ready:   20 September 2012
WRiPE 2012:     30 October 2012

ORGANIZERS

Nate Foster (Cornell University, co-chair)
Alexander Gurney (University of Pennsylvania, co-chair)
Anja Feldmann (Deutsche Telekom Laboratories/TU Berlin)
Limin Jia (Carnegie Mellon University)
Peyman Kazemian (Stanford University)
Dejan Kostic (Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne)
Hung Nguyen (University of Adelaide)
Olaf Maennel (Loughborough University)
Robbert van Renesse (Cornell University)
Michael Schapira (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
Jonathan Sobel (Cisco Systems)
Stefano Vissicchio (Universite Catholique de Louvain)
David Walker (Princeton University)
Pamela Zave (AT&T Research)
Wenchao Zhou (Georgetown University)

AUTHOR GUIDELINES

Prospective authors are invited to submit papers in English presenting
original research. Submissions to WRiPE must not be concurrent with a
substantially similar submission to a conference or workshop,
including condensed versions of work that has been submitted and is
currently under review. Please do not submit abbreviated versions of
journal or conference papers. Reviewing will not be blind.

We encourage submissions of work-in-progress based on novel and
interesting ideas and tool demonstrations. All submitted papers must
be no longer than six (6) pages in double-column format with standard
margins (i.e., at least one inch all around) and at least a 10 point
font. Longer submissions will not be reviewed. We suggest using the
IEEE Transactions Style:
http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/authors/authors_journals.html

PROCEEDINGS

Accepted papers will be published by the IEEE Press.