[TYPES/announce] Off the Beaten Track @ POPL 2013: Call for Participation

David Walker dpw at cs.princeton.edu
Wed Dec 26 14:24:16 EST 2012

*          Off The Beaten Track 2013               *
* New Frontiers for Programming Languages Research *
*            Call for Participation                *
*                                                  *
*                 January 26                       *
*                 Rome, Italy                      *
*            Co-located with POPL 2013             *
*  http://goto.ucsd.edu/~rjhala/OBT2013/index.html *

Register to participate via the POPL 2013 registration process:

http://popl.mpi-sws.org/2013/

Programming language researchers have the principles, tools, algorithms and abstractions to solve all kinds of problems, in all areas of computer science. However, identifying and evaluating new problems, particularly those that lie outside the typical core PL problems we all know and love, can be a significant challenge. Hence, the goal of this workshop is to identify and discuss problems that do not often show up in our top conferences, but where programming language researchers can make a substantial impact. The hope is that by holding such a forum and associating it directly with a top conference like POPL, we can slowly start to increase the diversity of problems that are studied by PL researchers and that by doing so we will increase the impact that our community has on the world.

Invited Lectures:

Andrew Gordon (MSR)
Probabilistic Programming

Michael Walfish (UT Austin)
Making proof-based verified computation almost practical: progress and next steps
(not our usual verification techniques --> verification of remote computation using
probabilistically checkable proofs!)

Contributed Presentations:

Suresh Jagannathan & Jan Vitek (Purdue)
Tilting at Windmills

Harry Mairson (Brandeis)
Traité de lutherie, informatisé

Thomas Ball, Peli de Halleux, Daan Leijen and Nikhil Swamy (MSR)
Increasing Human Compiler Interaction

Aquinas Hobor, Lin Myat Soe and Bimlesh Wadhwa (NUS)
VisualizeSLE: A Visual Editor for Separation Logic Entailments

Andy Gordon, Aditya Nori and Sriram Rajamani (MSR)
Probabilistic Inference Using Program Analysis

Umut Acar, Ezgi Cicek and Deepak Garg (CMU & MPI-SWS)
Language Support for Efficient Dynamic Computation

Ken Eguro, Kaushik Rajan, Ravi Ramamurthy, Kapil Vaswani and Ramarathnam Venkatesan (MSR)
Migration to the Cloud made Safe and Secure

Arvind Sujeeth et al. (Stanford & EPFL)
Crossing the Software-Hardware Chasm With DSLs

Yu David Liu (SUNY Binghamton)
Tempo Support in Programming Languages

Saurabh Srivastava et al. (UC Berkeley)
Biochemistry as a Programming Language

Benjamin Hall, Ethan Jackson and Jasmin Fisher (MSR)
Fast Analysis of Biological Models Using Open-World Logic Programming