[TYPES/announce] ACCAT 2013: call for participation

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at di.unipi.it
Wed Jan 30 10:15:32 EST 2013

[We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.]

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
==========
8th International Workshop on
Applied and Computational Category Theory
ACCAT 2013

http://accat2013.zib.de/

Satellite Event of ETAPS 2013, Rome, March 17 2013
==========

Scope
=====
Since the 1960s, the use of category theory in computer science has been a fruitful one, including applications to different areas such as automata theory, algebraic specification, and programming languages, among others. In recent years, techniques and methods from CT have been adopted as a standard research tool, and considered as such in different venues around the world.

The ACCAT workshop on "Applied and Computational Category Theory" has been one of these venues. Since its inception in 2006, ACCAT provided a forum where invited contributors presented their own research on different facets of category theory applied to computer science.

Following the tradition, the program of this year edition will include eight invited talks by top researchers in the area:

Samson Abramsky
Robin B. Cockett
Barbara Koenig
Ugo Montanari
Till Mossakowski
Dusko Pavlovic
Andrzej Tarlecki
Glynn Winskel

Despite ACCAT success, we believe that the current formula of the workshop should be deeply revised. Indeed, we believe that a fully fledged conference is missing where all kinds of applications of category theory to computer science can be presented (like the former CTCS conference, which somehow ended in 2006).

Therefore, after the presentations, the workshop will end up with a general discussion among the invited speakers and the attendees.  We hope that the outcome of the discussion could be a decision whether to push for such high-level workshop/conference on the application of category theory to computer science, or at least to verify the viability of a further meeting focusing on this issue.

For more information, please contact Fabio Gadducci (gadducci at di.unipi.it) or Ulrike Golas (golas at zib.de).