[TYPES/announce] Workshop on Algebra, Coalgebra and Topology: 1 March in Bath

Cai Wingfield c.a.j.wingfield at bath.ac.uk
Sat Feb 16 06:31:08 EST 2013

	  Workshop on Algebra, Coalgebra and Topology
   	     (part of the Wessex Theory Seminar)

                     University of Bath

                     Friday 1 March 2013

The Technische Universitaet Dresden is one of the world's leading
centres in clone theory. An abstract clone, with nullary operations, is
a mild rephrasing of what category theorists call a Lawvere
theory. They are also equivalent to finitary monads, but the
equivalence with the latter is far more than mild rephrasing.

The notions of abstract clone and Lawvere theory have been developed for
several decades largely independently of each other. Much of the development
of Lawvere theories has been done in the UK, in recent years primarily in
association with the University of Cambridge. Duality has been studied for
both, with notions such as coclone, comodel and coalgebra prominent. Both have
interacted with computer science, and both have involved relationships with
topology.

Several of the key researchers in the two fields will meet for a workshop at
the University of Bath on Friday 1 March. Sebastian Kerkhoff, Martin
Schneider, Mike Behrisch and Cynthia Glodeanu will join us from Dresden,
Martin Hyland will come from Cambridge, and Edmund Robinson will come from
Queen Mary, University of London. Local researchers who will participate
actively include Jim Laird, Guy McCusker, John Power and Cai Wingfield.

We would like to invite others to participate too, and to offer talks. If you
are interested in coming, perhaps also offering to give a talk, please contact
Cai Wingfield (C.A.J.Wingfield at bath.ac.uk).

VENUE: The meeting will be held in the (very pleasant) department lounge of
the Department of Computer Science, East Building, University of Bath
http://www.bath.ac.uk/about/gettinghere/maps/index.html.

PROGRAMME: We will determine a programme based upon talks offered. We
anticipate starting late morning and going until the end of the afternoon.

REGISTRATION FEE: There is no registration fee, but the meeting will be held
on a pay-your-own-everything basis. We will show you suitable places for
morning and afternoon teas and for lunch, either sit-down or take-away.

TRAVEL FUNDING: The workshop will be part of the Wessex Theory Seminar, so
there is a (very) small amount of travel funding available to
those people working at Wessex sites
https://wiki.bath.ac.uk/display/wessex/Wessex+Theory+Seminar. If you would
like to apply for it, please email Guy McCusker (G.A.McCuskker at bath.ac.uk).

ACCOMMODATION: Few people are likely to need accommodation for a one-day
meeting, but if you do and need help, please contact us, although you can
probably find it as easily on the web as we can, for instance via
http://visitbath.co.uk/. You are strongly advised to book accommodation soon,
as the Bath Literature Festival starts that day and much of the accommodation
we normally recommend is already sold out.

PROCEEDINGS: We plan to publish an ENTCS post-proceedings of the workshop if
we receive a reasonable number of high quality submissions of relevant
articles. We can discuss details at the time. The one caveat is that Elsevier
now charges $50/paper for publishing in ENTCS, which we may need to pass on to
successful authors.