[TYPES/announce] Research Associate Position "From Data Types to Session Types: A Basis for Concurrency and Distribution"

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 09:31:25 EDT 2013

Formal applications are now open for one of the posts I announced earlier.
Details are below.  Recall that there are also PhD studentships available
at Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Imperial, and additional RA posts are expected
at Glasgow and Imperial.  Please contact me if you have any questions.
Follow the URL at the end to apply.  Deadline for applications is 20 May
2013.  Yours,  -- P

We are recruiting for one research associate position in design and
implementation of programming languages. The post is on the project "From
Data Types to Session Types: A Basis for Concurrency and Distribution"
which is a programme grant funded by EPSRC for five years from 20 May 2013.

We hope to fill the post by 20 May 2013, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The post is for an initial period of 24 months, with possibility of
extension, and is on the UE07 scale (£30,424 - £36,298).

*Project Description*

Just as data types describe the structure of data, session types describe
the structure of communication between concurrent and distributed
processes. Our project has particular emphasis on putting theory into
practice, by embedding session types in a range of programming languages
and applying them to realistic case studies. The research programme is
joint between the University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, and
Imperial College London, and includes collaboration with Amazon, Cognizant,
Red Hat, VMware, and the Ocean Observatories Initiative.

*Principal Duties*

The successful candidate will join a team responsible for extending the
functional web programming language Links with session types to support
concurrency and distribution. We will test our techniques by providing a
library to access Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud computing infrastructure,
and perform empirical experiments to assess how our language design impacts
the performance of programmers.

You should possess a PhD in a relevant area, or be nearing completion of
same, or have comparable experience. You should have a track-record of
publication, or other evidence of ability to undertake research and
communicate well. You should have a strong background in programming
languages, including type systems, and strong programming and software
engineering skills.

It is desirable for candidates to also have one or more of the following: a
combination of theoretical and practical skills; experience of web
programming or cloud programming; knowledge of the theory or practice of
concurrent and distributed systems; knowledge of linear logic; or training
in empirical measurement of programming tasks.

We seek applicants at an international level of excellence. The Laboratory
for Foundations of Computer Science is internationally renowned, the School
of Informatics at Edinburgh is among the strongest in the world, and
Edinburgh is known as a cultural centre providing a high quality of life.

Further details are here:

https://www.vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.jobspec?p_id=013243

--
.\ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science
./\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh