[TYPES/announce] PhD opportunities at the University of Birmingham

Paul Levy P.B.Levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 18:32:21 EDT 2014

* Imminent funding deadline - please contact us immediately if you are
interested. *

Dear all,

We invite applications for PhD study at the University of Birmingham.

We are a group of (mostly) theoretical computer scientists who explore
fundamental concepts in computation and programming language
semantics. This often involves profound and surprising connections
between different areas of computer science and mathematics. From
category theory to lambda-calculus and computational effects, from
topology
to constructive mathematics, from game semantics to program
compilation, this is a diverse field of research that continues to
provide new insight and underlying structure.

See our webpage, with links to individual researchers, here:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/groupings/theory/

Information about PhD applications may be found here:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate-research/

If you are considering applying, please contact any of us. We will be
very happy to discuss the opportunities available.

Best regards,
The Birmingham CS theory group

--

Martin Escardo    (topology, computation with infinite objects,
constructive mathematics, intuitionistic type theory)

Dan Ghica            (game semantics, heterogeneous computing, model
checking)

Achim Jung          (mathematical structures in the foundations of
computing: logic, topology, order)

Neel Krishnaswami   (type theory, verification, substructural logic,
interactive computation)

Paul Levy             (denotational semantics, lambda-calculus with
effects, nondeterminism, category theory, game semantics)

Uday Reddy        (semantics of state, separation logic)

Eike Ritter            (security protocol verification)

Hayo Thielecke  (abstract machines, concurrent and functional
programming, software security)

Steve Vickers      (constructive mathematics and topology, category
theory and toposes)

--
Paul Blain Levy
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham