[TYPES/announce] PhD Positions on Concurrency Verification and Correctness at York, UK

Mike Dodds mike.dodds at york.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 08:46:50 EST 2015

PHD POSITIONS ON CONCURRENCY VERIFICATION AND CORRECTNESS

The Department of Computer Science at the University of York, UK is
offering funded PhD scholarships for excellent students, to start in
September 2015. In particular, I am looking for students in the areas of:

- Concurrent software verification
- Program logic / separation logic
- Concurrent programming language semantics
- Multicore data-structure design and testing

Interested applicants should contact me, Dr Mike Dodds (
mike.dodds at york.ac.uk) with a CV/resume. Successful candidates will join my
research team - see http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~miked/

There are three main sources of funding available, with different
deadlines:
- 27th February 2015: doctoral training grant applications.
- 30th April 2015: overseas research scholarship (ORS) applications.
- June 2015: departmental ORS applications.

See below for more details, including eligibility. Note that these are
departmental deadlines; please contact me personally before applying.

THE DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF YORK

The department is a leading centre of research in Computer Science in the
UK. We were ranked joint 7th in the UK in the 2014 REF research assessment
(equal to Oxford University), and 5th for the impact of our research on
wider society. We are based on the newly-built Heslington East campus,
which provides excellent facilities for research students. The department
hosts a broad range of research, from fundamental theory, to AI, software
engineering, and games. As a research student, you are encouraged to work
in collaboration with others, and to present your ideas at some of the many
informal seminars held regularly in the Department.

For more details, see the department's page on research degrees:
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees/phd/

DR MIKE DODDS

I am an anniversary lecturer - one of twenty research-focussed faculty
appointed to celebrate the University of York's 50th birthday. My position
is roughly equivalent to a tenured assistant professor in the US.

I am interested in applying the tools of CS theory - logic, proof, and
formal semantics - to tricky engineering problems. Most of my work is about
verifying the concurrent data-structures that lie at the heart of multicore
systems. These are key systems components, but they're also particularly
hard to get right.

I've often worked on Hoare-style program logic, in particular logics for
verifying concurrent systems. More recently, I've worked on rigorous
correctness conditions and data-structure design. I've also worked in
automated reasoning and graphical proof visualisation.

I've picked out some key themes from my research here:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~miked/research.html

FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES

There are three main sources of funding for prospective students, each with
different eligibility criteria and deadlines. If you have your own funding
(e.g. from a national scholarship programme or private finance), then you
can apply at any time of year.

1. Departmental EPSRC Doctoral Training Grants. (Deadline: 27th February
2015).
Funding: Fees at Home/EU rate as well as an annual stipend (for 2013/4 this
was £13,726) for 3 years.
Eligibility: Full funding for UK students or fees-only funding for EU
students.

2. University Overseas Research Scholarship - ORS (Deadline: 30th April
2015).
This is a highly competitive scholarship based on academic merit and
financial need. To present the strongest case, candidates will have
excellent bachelors/masters marks and ideally will have already published
one or more academic paper.
Funding: Full overseas tuition fee and a stipend of £5,000 per year for
each year of successful study.
Eligibility: Overseas (i.e. non-EU) students.

3. Department Overseas Research Scholarship - DORS (Deadline: June 2015).
This is a departmental scheme which is less competitive than ORS, but is
also less valuable.
Funding: the award covers the difference between home/EU student and
international student PhD fees.
Eligibility: Overseas (i.e. non-EU) students.

For more details, see my page on PhD applications:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~miked/docstudents.html

HOW TO APPLY

If you are interested in applying for a PhD with me, please email me first
to allow us to discuss possible topics (mike.dodds at york.ac.uk). Please
include a copy of your CV/resume with your email.

In order to apply, you must have, or expect to obtain, a First or a high
Upper Second Class Honours undergraduate degree, or equivalent
qualification, and/or a Master's degree in Computer Science or a related
discipline.

To make a formal application, you should apply via the University of York's
central application system. You should then name me as a potential
supervisor.
http://www.york.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/

--
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~miked/