[TYPES/announce] PhD position in Monitoring Concurrent Software

m.huisman at utwente.nl m.huisman at utwente.nl
Thu Aug 6 08:38:14 EDT 2015

Please pass this message on to any of your potentially interested Master students.

I am looking for a PhD student to develop a monitoring system for concurrent software. Making monitoring transparent is the big challenge: monitoring should not affect program behavior. A general-purpose approach will be designed, based on local annotations and global properties. In addition, I would like to investigate how runtime monitoring techniques can be used to efficiently explore different program behaviors.

If you are interested, you can apply before August 24, 2015 via:
http://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/vacancies/!/vacature/312508

The project will be carried out within the Formal Methods and Tools (FMT) research group of Twente University. Within the FMT group, formal techniques and tools are developed and used as a means to support the development of software. This includes the development of formal theories of concurrency, design methodologies for distributed systems, and correctness assessment using verification or validation techniques. The group is also concerned with the development of traditional tools such as compilers and interpreters. In both research and courses much attention is paid to the applicability of formal methods.

The FMT group is part of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) at the University of Twente.

The 3TU.BSR project Big Software on the Run (http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/research/projects/3TU.BSR/) seeks several PhD and Postdoc positions. Millions of lines of code - written in different languages by different people at different times and operating on a variety of platforms - drive the systems performing key processes in our society. The resulting software needs to evolve and can no longer be controlled a priori as is illustrated by a range of software problems. The 3TU.BSR research program will develop novel techniques and tools to analyse software systems in vivo - making it possible to visualize behaviour, create models, check conformance, predict problems and recommend corrective actions.

The goal of the project is to develop a monitoring system for concurrent software. Making monitoring transparent is the big challenge: monitoring should not affect program behavior. A general-purpose approach will be designed, based on local annotations and global properties. Runtime monitoring is essential to check conformance of concurrent software during deployment. At the same time, runtime monitoring provides insight in low-level software events, generating a continuous data stream of events that feeds discovery. With process mining and visualization technology in Eindhoven, we will explore the scope of concurrent software monitoring.

The project will run for a period of four years and is supported by the three Dutch technical universities (Eindhoven University of Technology, TU Delft and University of Twente). It was initiated by 3TU.NIRICT, the Netherlands Institute for Research on ICT, which comprises all ICT research of the three universities of technology in the Netherlands.

Your profile

We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:

  *   a solid background in Computer Science, Data Science, or Software Science (demonstrated by a relevant Master);
  *   good communicative skills in English, both in speaking and in writing;
  *   a demonstrable interest in program semantics and verification;
  *   some knowledge about software technology and multithreaded programming (in Java/C/C++ etc.)
  *   candidates from non-Dutch or non-English speaking countries should be prepared to prove their English language skills;
  *   candidates are expected to realize research ideas in terms of prototype software, so software development skills are needed.

Note that we are looking for candidates that really want to make a difference and like to work on things that have a high practical relevance while having the ambition to compete at an international scientific level (i.e., present at top conferences and in top journals).

To apply for the position you should follow the link at the bottom of this vacancy description. Your application should consist of:

  *   a cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
  *   a full Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained;
  *   a short description (maximum 1 page A4) of your MSc research;
  *   contact details of at least two referees who worked closely with you;

Applications should be submitted before August 24, 2015.

Our offer

We offer you a an interesting research position in a dynamic and international environment. You will also be given the opportunity to extend your knowledge in relevant areas through internal and external courses. You will be appointed for a period of four years. The salary starts at € 2.125,00 gross per month and grows to € 2.717,00 gross per month in the fourth year.

Additionally, the University of Twente provides a holiday allowance (amounts to 8%), an end-of-year bonus (amounts to 8.3%) and a number of additional benefits.

For more information about this position see http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/research/projects/3TU.BSR/ or contact Marieke Huisman (http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/~marieke/<http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/%7Emarieke/>).

The organization

The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over six faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.

The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+, CTIT and MIRA.