[TYPES/announce] Postdoc in programming languages, software architecture and robotics at Carnegie Mellon

Joshua Sunshine sunshine at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 27 08:42:23 EDT 2015

The Plaid research group, led by Jonathan Aldrich at Carnegie Mellon
University, is recruiting a postdoctoral fellow to work on an exciting new
project that at the intersection of three usually distinct research areas:
programming languages, software architecture, and robotics.

Project Goal: We plan to fundamentally raise the level of abstraction at
which we build and evolve mobile robotics software. To adapt to a broad set
of ecosystem changes, we will explicitly model the software ecosystem as a
software architecture, capturing the high-level intent of the system and
its components in domain-specific languages tailored specifically for that
purpose. Informed by variability-aware analysis that can discover how
software properties vary within a multidimensional configuration space, we
apply architecture-based self-adaptation to compute optimized adaptations
transformation and repair techniques.

Applicant qualifications:
- Must have, or shortly expect to receive, a PhD degree in computer science
or related field.
- Must have a strong background in compilers and/or program analysis for
high-level languages.-
- Must have a strong research track record, including solid publications in
relevant areas.
- Experience in type theory, domain specific languages, or software
architecture is preferred.

Term: 2 years, potentially renewable

To apply:  Email cover letter, CV, and three recommendations to Joshua
Sunshine <sunshine at cs.cmu.edu>.  Subject of email should include “[Plaid
postdoc]” (including square brackets) to ensure that the email is processed
correctly.