[TYPES/announce] [ESSoS'17] Call for Posters (deadline: 25th April)

Raoul Strackx raoul.strackx at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed Apr 19 04:06:28 EDT 2017

|                    Call for Poster Abstracts                        |
|                   *deadline: April 25th, 2017*                      |
|  International Symposium on Engineering Secure Software and Systems |
|                            (ESSoS)                                  |
|                         July 3-5, 2017                              |
|                          Bonn, Germany                              |
|https://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/essos/2017/calls-papers.html |

In cooperation with: ACM SIGSAC and SIGSOFT (pending)
New this year: co-Located with DIMVA.

| Context and motivation                                              |
IT security is becoming an increasingly interdisciplinary subject. For
example, it is insufficient to simply deploy new security measures but
one must pay careful attention to correctly integrate the security
measures into existing software. Such an approach involves redesigning
and engineering of software to ensure that the built-in security policy
is effective in practice.
Many security venues put little focus on topics related to software
engineering, while many software-engineering venues lack appreciation
for more complex topics in software security. ESSoS thus strives to be
a venue that welcomes exactly such contributions that are at the border
of IT security and software engineering. The program committee is
particularly chosen to encompass a broad range of expertise, ranging
from software security over software engineering to human subjects such
as usable security.

| Goal and setup                                                      |
The goal of this symposium, which will be the ninth in the series, is
to bring together researchers and practitioners to advance the state of
the art and practice in secure software engineering. Being one of the
few conference-level events dedicated to this topic, it explicitly aims
to bridge the software engineering and security engineering
communities, and promote cross-fertilization. The symposium will
feature two days of technical program including two keynote
presentations. In addition to academic papers, the symposium encourages
submission of high-quality, informative industrial experience papers
about successes and failures in secure software engineering and the
lessons learned. Furthermore, the symposium also accepts short idea
papers that crisply describe a promising direction, approach, or
insight.

| Topics                                                              |
The Symposium seeks submissions on subjects related to its goals. This
includes a diversity of topics including (but not limited to):
- Cloud security, virtualization for security
- Mobile devices security
- Automated techniques for vulnerability discovery and analysis
- Model checking for security
- Binary code analysis, reverse-engineering
- Programming paradigms, models, and domain-specific languages for
    security
- Operating system security
- Verification techniques for security properties
- Malware: detection, analysis, mitigation
- Security in critical infrastructures
- Security by design
- Static and dynamic code analysis for security
- Web applications security
- Program rewriting techniques for security
- Security measurements
- Empirical secure software engineering
- Security-oriented software reconfiguration and evolution
- Computer forensics
- Processes for the development of secure software and systems
- Security testing
- Embedded software security
- Usable security

| Important dates                                                     |
Paper submission: Friday, February 24, 2017 (passed)
Paper acceptance notification: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 (passed)
Artifact evaluation submission: Friday, April 21, 2017 (passed)
* Poster submission: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 *
* Poster acceptance notification: Friday, April 28, 2017 *
Camera-ready: Friday, May 12, 2017
Symposium: Monday to Wednesday, July 3-5, 2017
(DIMVA is held July 6-7, following ESSoS)

| Posters                                                             |
ESSoS will have a poster session to present ideas, discuss prototypes,
and feature ongoing work. Authors of accepted papers and authors with
evaluated artifacts are invited to submit a poster as well. Poster
abstracts are limited to 1 page.
Submission through: https://essos17.cs.purdue.edu/

Concerned about a US travel ban? Submit your work anyway! If none of
the (Co-)authors is able to travel to the conference (and back) due to
a US travel ban we will find a way to allow you to present your work
via tele-presentation.

| Steering committee                                                  |
Jorge Cuellar (Siemens AG)
Wouter Joosen (KU Leuven) - chair
Fabio Massacci (Univ. of Trento)
Bashar Nuseibeh (Open Univ. and LERO)
Juan Caballero (IMDEA Software Institute)
Eric Bodden (Univ. Paderborn)
Lorenzo Cavallaro (Royal Holloway Univ.)

| Organizing committee                                                |
General chair: Michael Meier (University of Bonn, DE)
Program co-chairs: Mathias Payer (Purdue university, USA),Eric Bodden
  (Paderborn University, DE)
Doctoral Symposium: TBA
Publication chair: Elias Athanasopoulos (University of Cyprus, CY)
Publicity chair: Raoul Strackx (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, BE)
Artifact Evaluation co-chairs: Omer Tripp (Google, USA), Karim Ali
  (University of Alberta, CA)
Web chair: Ghita Saevels (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, BE)

| Program committee                                                   |
David Aspinall, University of Edinburgh
Domagoj Babic, Google Inc.
Alexandre Bartel, University of Luxembourg
Amel Bennaceur, The Open University
Stefan Brunthaler, Paderborn University
Will Enck, NC State University
Michael Franz, University of California, Irvine
Christian Hammer, University of Potsdam
Michael Hicks, University of Maryland
Trent Jaeger, The Pennsylvania State University
Vassilis P. Kemerlis, Brown University
Johannes Kinder, University of London
Byoungyoung Lee, Purdue University
Yang Liu, University of Oxford
Ben Livshits, Imperial College London
Clémentine Maurice, Technical University Graz
Andy Meneely, Rochester Institute of Technology
Mira Mezini, Technical University Darmstadt
Alessandro Orso, Georgia Tech
Christina Pöpper, New York University Abu Dhabi
Awais Rashid, Lancaster University
Kaveh Razavi, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Tamara Rezk, INRIA
Angela Sasse, University College London
Zhendong Su, University of California, Davis
Melanie Volkamer, Karlstad University
Xiangyu Zhang, Purdue University