[TYPES/announce] PhD position in Groningen on concurrency theory / semantics / process calculi

Jorge A. Perez j.a.perez at rug.nl
Wed May 10 12:32:25 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

We welcome expressions of interest for a four-year PhD position
currently available within the Fundamental Computing group, University
of Groningen (the Netherlands) - see www.rug.nl.

We are looking for bright, highly motivated students broadly
interested in working on
- concurrency theory
- process calculi
- semantics of programming languages
- validation/verification techniques for concurrent systems (for
instance, type systems and behavioral equivalences)
- logical foundations of concurrency and communication

The PhD position is available in the context of the recently
established a PhD Scholarship Program:
http://www.rug.nl/education/phd-programmes/phd-scholarship-programme/

Interested candidates are encouraged to carefully consult the
application procedure and general conditions described in this link.

The PhD student will be working under my supervision within the Johann
Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science (JBI) - see
http://www.rug.nl/research/jbi/

The research topic for the available position is to be decided jointly
between the candidate and PhD supervisor.
There is room for both fundamental and practical research topics
within the areas above. There are excellent prospects for
international collaboration and exchanges.

Prospective candidates should have:
- A MSc in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral
Prior research experience (for instance, an excellent MSc
thesis/internship on one or some of the research areas mentioned
above) would be a plus.

Interested candidates should contact me asap (j.a.perez[at]rug.nl) to
express their interest in applying to the position. I also welcome
informal queries and questions about the position.

The stating date for the position is as soon as possible (ideally by
September 2017) so early expressions of interest are particularly
appreciated.

Pleasee share this announcement as you see fit and encourage strong
candidates to contact me.

Best regards,
Jorge A. Pérez

--