[TYPES/announce] Phd/PostDoc position at University of Freiburg

Peter Thiemann thiemann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jul 14 11:31:16 EDT 2017

Starting in October 2017, the programming languages group at University of Freiburg, Germany, has an opening for a research assistant to work with Prof. Dr. Peter Thiemann. This position can be filled with a graduate working towards a PhD or with a PostDoc and it involves a light amount of teaching. We welcome applications of either kind.

RESEARCH

The overall research theme of the group is to explore the boundaries of static and dynamic checking of program properties, in particular types.
	• Theoretical and practical aspects of typed programming, for example session types, gradual typing, dependent types, type-based program analysis
	• Language-based security, in particular hybrid information-flow enforcement
	• Runtime verification and contract checking

We are working in the context of JavaScript, Haskell, OCaml, Scala, and admit the occasional excursion to Java and Go. We collaborate with leading researchers worldwide. Check our research webpage http://proglang.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/research/ or DBLP publication profile http://dblp.dagstuhl.de/pers/hd/t/Thiemann:Peter for more information.

REQUIREMENTS

	• University degree in computer science or closely related field
	• Motivation to work on abstract theories and put them in practical implementations
	• Fluent English (speech and writing)

Familiarity with “Types and Programming Languages” and/or “Software Foundations” is helpful as we expect the candidate to apply similar techniques and tools.

JOB DETAILS AND APPLICATION

The salary is according to the TV-L E13 scale of German public service.

The university of Freiburg aims at increasing the number of female employees and thus especially welcomes applications of female candidates.

Applications of disabled candidates will be given priority, depending on their suitability.

Please send your application in PDF format by email to the leader of the programming languages group, Prof. Dr. Peter Thiemann <thiemann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de>. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.

Informal enquiries about the position may also be sent to
Prof. Dr. Peter Thiemann
thiemann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/